Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High wind tacking
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey guys, here's a question for y'all:

I haven't really had problems tacking my boat since the initial learning-curve this past spring. However, whenever the winds pick up to ~20mph I get stuck in irons well over 50% of the time. I dunno what I'm doing wrong that causes this. I try to do the roll tack as described by Rick White but I guess I'm doing it *wrong* because it doesn't work except in light-medium air.

Help? Thanks in advance.

Jim

Post subject: jib
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its all in the jib. Don't loosen the jib sheet until the mast turns and you've come across the wind. If you do too soon in high wind you'll die head to wind everytime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

See that's interesting and counter-intuitive. In Catamaran Sailing: For the '90s Rick says to try and keep the telltales flying the whole way across. Furthermore, you'd think you'd want to at least loosen the jib as you come up head to wind so that the main can weathervane you into the wind. IIIIIIIIIii dunno. Am I making sense here?

Thanks again,

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My buddy and I lost several positions in a Glenora Cup race, like first to last- :roll: because it was blowing like snot and I blew the tack by breaking the jib too early. Leave it. Even cleat it as tight as possible on the current tack just before you initiate the turn.

Also- experiement with how fast you turn the tiller- come into the turn deliberately but slowly until the last 1/4 of turn - then over hard and fast.

You will get it :wink:

Post subject: Keep the jib tight
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Keep the jib tight... Squeeze the main a bit tighter as you go head-to-wind and then unsheet the main and force it out a few feet. I use my shoulder under the boom as I cross over. This allows the jib to bring the bows across. If the main is left sheeted, it weather vanes the boat into the wind. Keep the jib backwinded until the boat is further around than normal. Let the jib go across and cleat it again before sheeting the main again.

Also be real carefull with the rudders. Ease into the tack and increase the turn as you slow down. Turning to fast will kill the boat speed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:59 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Also remember to have the crew keep their weight forward in the tack (high wind). The back-winding jib can blow the boat over backwards.

<personal experience>

Post subject: blowing over backwards-
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
Also remember to have the crew keep their weight forward in the tack (high wind). The back-winding jib can blow the boat over backwards.

<personal experience>

Naaaahhh :roll: Repeat after me "Roll tack, Roll tack, Roll tack...Aughh!" :oops:

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I was out today in 20mph winds (solo) so I could practice tacking. Leaving the jib cleated did seem to help. However shortly after heading out my tiller extension came out again. I've GOT to figure out a way to keep the nuts from working their way off!! Loc-tite doesn't work because it's water soluble or something. Mebbe I'll try epoxy next time. I swear there are 5-6 stainless nuts at the bottom of the lake now.

Had to limp back to the dock in high winds sailing conservatively enough to not heel much because I couldn't hike/trap out and still hold the tiller crossbar to steer. :(

Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed that there's wind this weekend!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can honestly say that this has never happened to me- There should be a nylock nut on the bottom of the bolt that holds the hinge yoke assembly in place- those puppies never fall off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know; it's really bizarre. First I tried just a normal nut. Then I tried a lock nut. Then I tried a normal nut with Lok-tite. Then I tried a lock nut with Lok-tite. Now I'm going to try a normal nut AND a lock nut with Lok-tite. Hopefully THAT will work. I guess my pre-launch checklist is going to have to include "tiller extension nut - snug." :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:49 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
We never have this happen with the new boats, however with the older ones for some reason they seam to work loose. You can get a longer bolt and use 2 nuts that will do the trick!

Brad

Post subject: a quick note
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

lock nuts are not the same as nylock nuts. You have to use a nylock nut specially. Then the order of attachment from top down is: bolt, washer, tiller yoke, washer, tiller connector, washer, nylock nut.

Nylock nuts have a nylon insert integrated into the nut- they are relatively expensive- any skateboard shop will have them for about 25 to 50 cents each. You only need one of course.

And thanks for your help man- I will post my photos tomorrow.

peace out

Post subject: and...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

and... you may consider roughing up the threads or bending over a few after the nut goes on.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I got a longer screw and put two nuts the other day. Seems to be holding. :)