Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage drive problem.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tried to loosen myself up this past weekend. Took the Kayak out for the first time this year.. I inserted the mirage drive and away I went.. About one hundred yards into my journey I felt something give.. I landed to shore and inspected the mirage drive. One of the cable fittings has pulled out of the crimped swedge on the chain assembly
Anyone have this problem before?. Is there a way to fix it?
I have used the mirage drive less than ten times since I bought the kayak... The hull was replaced last year due to a leak. The drive was always rinsed, washed, and lubed after every use..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:10 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
take it to your dealer and get a new cable.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did take it to the dealer. I took it to brasington outfitters in Ocala, Fl. Its obvious that it is a mfg defect and not a result of any abuse or wrong usage of the devise....I just don't feel like I should have to pay for a mfg defect.. She called and was told there was only a one year warranty.. To be honest.. It may only have somewhere between 5 and ten hours of total useage. That is entire boat usage. The usage of the drive itself can be maybe half that or up to three quarters of that and that is stretching it.
An analogy..
Kinda like the Honda I purchased in 02. It sits in the garage and maybe only a few times a month gets usage for around town driving. It has less than 8K miles. It is serviced every six months.. Suppose I were to drive down the road to any given destination.. Stop the vehicle and open the door.. Upon opening the door it falls off the hinges due to week hinge pin sleeves... I know this is extreme but I am just trying to illustrate a point.
These products are not cheap. I don't want to have to put money into something for every few hours of usage because of other defects. I am also concerned about the opposing chain that is still attached. I am sure that during the assembly process it came from the same lot batch that the defective chain drive assembly came from.
The last time this drive was had usage was in either March or April of 07.. That was just a 100 yd run on a new hull.
I tried to use it in the keys during May of 07.. However the winds were consistent at 20+ knots every day so I was not able to use during that vacation time.
The only time before the hull test that the kayak and drive was used was in April of 06... That was the first time I actually used the kayak. I was in Bahia Honda for a few days.. Maybe spent three or four hours in the evenings fishing and cruising around.
This thing hardly ever gets usage.. But yet iit gets well taken care of and stored in a clean dry place and is well lubricated.