Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway in the surf
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m thinking of take my Getaway out into the surf this summer. What has been people’s experience?

Does the front trampoline need to be removed, or will it survive.....

Cheers
Mark

Post subject: Surf crashing with a 16
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will be interested to see the replies on this one just to satisfy my curiosity. I can share the experience of several years of 16's in the surf off Assateague Island (when they used to allow us there). Basically, if we had a tramp up front, we would have been CREAMED!! :shock:

For example, one of our buddies had a Playmate cooler attached to the dolphin striker- it didn't take much of an oncoming wave to pick up the front and almost flip the boat over backwards. Quick thinking and strong men prevented a potential disaster. I will say this--those hobies can take some abuse!!!

So- we're skiing and boarding already- I'll have to read here and dream...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:34 am 
Site Admin

Of course... it depends on how big the surf is.

Enough wave to come over the bows will make the boat wallow while the water drains off the trampolines. At least the forward mesh is of a wide mesh material that drains well. Could be worse sailing in. When we were developing the 21 Sport Cruiser (first to have a forward tramp) we had a mesh that was much more open than the standard main tramp mesh, but not what we have now. I just about pitch polled the boat a bunch of times on Key Biscane bay during a decent day. There was a steep, short duration swell running down the bay that would pick up the sterns and drive the bows down... the forward tramp would act like a sea anchor and nearly cause a pitch pole.

I would remove the forward tramp for conditions like that and likely for any sizeable surf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can picture exactly what you're saying Matt- I never thought about coming in- and sometimes coming in pretty darn fast, and then doing a big endo. :shock:

Might be a good shot for Americas funniest home videos if nobody got killed doing it 8)

It's snowing out here....Anybody ever take a hobie down a ski slope? :lol: HMMM.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had a ton of fun sailing a Maricat 4.3 in the swells. It had banana shaped hulls, so perhaps was better suited than my Getaway...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:45 am 
Site Admin

We have a picture of Billy Kid (Olympic Skier) on a Hobie 14... on the slopes. Somewhere. If I find it I will post it.

How about this for cold...

This was a Northern Passage (Over Canada) done over two seasons by Jeff MacInnis on a Hobie 18. This boat had kevlar in the keels for dragging over the ice.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt- thanks. Cool (Cold? :lol: ) I hope you can find the pictures of Billy Kid too. 8) I may just run my 17 down the hill for "jackass" fun this year- I will get photos if I do.

How about more info on Kevlar for keel protection- that is intriguing. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:31 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Gotta know your Hobie History, Matt:

Nov-Dec 84 Hotline

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: So THATS how Santa gets around

Kudos and and hats off to you for the good memory :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking through some old photos I realize that getting out through the surf and coming back in- and hauling the boat above the tide-line can be an athletic proposition. I wonder if the Getaway is too heavy to man-handle like this crew is doing with my friends H16 #6100 while our boat sits in the background

This photo gives you an idea of how low the cross bar actually is while you are dipping into a wave headed out- note how "low" the boat looks in the water. If my wife reads this, note how small my butt was back then :lol:

This is Assateague Island in Sept 1984 a few years before they banned boats from taking off and landing at the park. (see my post http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1181 )

happy sails!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The dude on the on the port side of the 16 appears to be wearing what my kids call it "DaDuntda-da" (to the tune of 'CHARGE!!') We call it a 'bannana Hammock'. In any case, it looks uncomfortable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's OLD SCHOOL. That's what my dad had when HE raced this boat back in the '70s. :)

Jim

Post subject: Real men wear speedo's
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah- all of us in that photo have kids now from 13 to about 30 years old- definitely old school :shock:

:lol: The suits- I think they were Speedo's left over from High School swim team :oops: :lol:

Hey Xander- Isn't the "banana hammock" the same thing as the "nut net" inside the swim trunks? I didn't know it applied to the whole suit. Funny stuff :lol: Thanks for the comments !! :roll:

Post subject: Surf and Getaway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have tackled some serious and erratic surf on Lake Huron, Ontario, Canada. Never go alone. Get out on foot well beyond that sandbar. Your crew must be as graceful as a cat with the brains/attitude of a gorilla. The hulls are so large and light that as long as that gorilla keeps his toes curled around the front crossbar you will be ok, but he/she must resist the urge to bail or move back. The front tramp drains really well. After you clear your first swell you must bear off asap so get those rudders locked in asap. Watch a pro first, then do a few dry runs and GO FOR IT!!
I tried to drag my Getaway over the iceheads for a winter sail this week but I my huskies took off when they saw the polar bears! Anyone had luck tying a harness to a pola bear?
Heres to a early spring.