Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Brazos,

I really not that old, retiring at 56 :D . Live is good, we bought a retirement home near Weeki Wachee. Florida and a hobie outback fish as my fishing boat. Long cold winter and the kayak has never been wet. Ice is off the ponds, but 10 day forecast high is generally in the 40's. I might just have to get it wet anyway. I have been dreaming of saltwater fishing.

I have installed an anchor trolley and Eagle Cuda 250 (combo GPS and FF) on my Outback

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8914

Fishyaker Video's are worth a look
http://members.cox.net/wkfa.org/index_007.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ah Cool
I was hoping to hear from you. 56 that is great. Alot of people dont even start thinking about that until they are 50 or so. Way to go man. I think that cold weather would get me. The salt water fishing is going to treat you right. I fish the flats in Texas. Yaks are made for it. We have alot of Redfish, Flounder, Specs, (speckled sea trout) and gators but we try to stay away from them. You will see alot of them in Florida. Good to hear from you. TDrill wishes you congrads also, I read that. Nice ff I want a el cheapo Garmin ff90 I already have a hand held Garmin GPSMAPS 76 why it is so cool is because it has tide readings all over the USA. That is one function that I have to have are I would Have to start taking the newspaper. Good to hear from you. :D
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey here is a picture of my GPS. 8)
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just Googled that area and fishing looks like it is great there. :D
Brazos

All kind of Bays and swamps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Brazos,
You got the area pegged. This area is called the Nature Coast. Lots of winding tidal creeks and very shallow. In May the big tarpon show up... good for a tow.

Are you familar with Florida's Circumnavigational Saltwater Paddling Trail? The folloing link talks about the area http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/paddling/Segments/Segment7/Segment7.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

All I can say is wow.
That place is awesome. The whole area was made for kayaks. I copied the link and when I get to my Moms house I am going to read all about it. We only have one area around here that is perfect for yaks. Called Christmas Bay. But we have all kind of other areas that have a lot of PB'ers and yaks. Consider yourself blessed thats what hard work does.
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Brazos wrote:
Hey TDrill
I went over a hundred more times and the anchor has to be mounted on the right side for it to work correctly for me. I am considering a ram type rod holder the one that is built into the yak is in the right place but it needs to be 1 1/2" deeper. Do you sit side ways when you fish? I wonder how big is the button to secure the anchor trolley? Did you buy the one that Hobie offers? It looks to me to have the pulleys at the end just the right size and they look good compared to most. Still waiting to hear how many years that OLD FART Mr Gumdrops worked. 8) :D
Brazos

You have a bunch of options for rod holders. If you like just having a hole, get the extenders. They have some other really nice ones. I like the one with two balls (the most expensive one of course) since it is very adjustable.

I don't sit sideways often. I like to move around the lake a bit. Now that I am moving to NY, I'm pretty sure I won't be dangling my tootsies in the water very much at all. That would def effect where I put my trolley paddle though.

The button is small and just something to wrap the line over, like you do for your paddle keeper. If you go look at my pics again, it is there: www.tomdrill.com/hobie.htm
You will see a tiny back piece on the left side of the boat, just behind the seat. It is on the left in the tray, just forward of the rear left rod holder.

And yep, that is the one from Hobie. I thought it was a pretty nice kit and am happy with the install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey TDrill
Is this it? :o I cant wait to put mine on. The next thing I would like to learn is how to splice rope. I bet on them sailing forums they would know all about that stuff.
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:51 am 
Hobie Team Member

A couple thoughts on trolly placement...

It is interesting reading the various ideas on the "wheres and whys" of anchor trolley rigging. I thought I had read all the ideas there could be and made a well thought out decision when I finally rigged one that incorporated many ideas from many forums. The thing works great with a little shock cord between the eyelets and pulleys fore and aft and a small clam cleat to retain the anchor line. But, I don't care for the side of the boat I put it on and will rig on the opposite side next time.

I am also right handed, throw side arm from right to left or over hand to about 10 or 11 o'clock. When using the fly rod, I am almost always throwing in the 9 to 12 o'clock area. I have also developed a good feel for bringing fish in on the left side of the boat and a bit more clumsy at retrieving fish on the right side. I always keep the paddle on the right side for quick and easy grabbing.

Given the above factors, that dog gone anchor line being anywhere on the left side has been a source of frustration (tangled lines, lost fish, etc.) on many occasions to the point I tend not to use the anchor as mush as I would if it were on the other side. The next one I rig will be on the right side for sure. Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK that is what I wanted to hear. Here I come FTU to get a anchor trolley system. I figured that the thing should be on the right. For me anyway. I feel that if it would have been on the left I would experience all the things that NH Explorer talked about. Thanks NH Explorer. 8)
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep thats it Brazos. Just put it anywhere where you can flip the line up over the edge to add a little tension in the bungee and that will keep it from moving around on ya.

Just as NH said, you never know for sure where the best placement for things are until you try them. Luckily, my brother has a Hobie as well, so I get to try things out on his yak before I drill any holes in mine. ;-)))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm glad you guys gave me plenty of input. I would hate to install and find out that I needed it somewhere else. :shock: THANKS The yak cost $1649.00 and I don't want to mess it up first project. I feel more than confident. So glad the weather is warming up going to catch my fair share this year. The yak is a perfect tool for doing that see yall later. :D
Brazos

PS Now I am going to think about some kind of flotation. I dont want to sink and lose that thing. Pool Noodles, Boat Seats, ?????