Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fishing with an i12e
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

G/Day !.
I'm shortly to take a trip around and across Australia in my Mitsubishi Canter 4x4 camper , and I'm hoping to do a fair bit of fishing.
The only way I could take a boat is if I can get it in the door of the camper , and stow it in there , the pop top has 2 solar panels on it , and there is no room anywhere else.
The i12s seems to be the goods , but I have some concerns about its durability.
How will it take to being continually folded and unfolded ?.
How difficult is it to patch ?.
How does it handle long days of tropical heat and humidity ?.
How well can it be set up as a fishing kayak ?.
Regards Rob J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G/Day Rob

I am using an i12 Tassie and finding it a great machine. I have had mine out about seven times so far. Folding when the boat is warm is definitely the way to go. She is quite stubborn to get in the bag when cold, so tropical heat should prove to be an advantagejavascript:emoticon(':lol:') we could do with some of that down here at present ! What problems do you envisage with humidity ?

Have not needed to patch anything yet - the repair kit should handle small jobs. Skin seems pretty tough - not like hypalon on a rubber ducky but not poor quality either.

I do not fish, but reckon the boat would be great for the job.

Regards Tasman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G/Day Rob

I am using an i12 in Tassie and finding it a great machine. I have had mine out about seven times so far. Folding when the boat is warm is definitely the way to go. She is quite stubborn to get in the bag when cold, so tropical heat should prove to be an advantage javascript:emoticon(':lol:') we could do with some of that down here at present ! What problems do you envisage with humidity ?

Have not needed to patch anything yet - the repair kit should handle small jobs. Skin seems pretty tough - not like hypalon on a rubber ducky but not poor quality either.

Regards Tasman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G/Day Rob

I am using an i12 in Tassie and finding it a great machine. I have had mine out about seven times so far. Folding when the boat is warm is definitely the way to go. She is quite stubborn to get in the bag when cold, so tropical heat should prove to be an advantage (':lol:') we could do with some of that down here at present ! What problems do you envisage with humidity ?

Regards Tasman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

G/Day Tasman.
Gee , I'll have to spend a summer in Tassie too !.
I've been told that inflatables used up north just fall to pieces after a while , with the heat and humidity .
But they weren't Hobies , I'm sure.
We are hoping to shift to the Orbost (Snowy River) area , and fish the rivers and lakes in the area , then start working "around the block"
So I can see the boat being taken out of the camper most days , just go from one fishing spot to the next.
I think I'll give the "snappin' handbag" area a miss though !.
Rob J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Tasman , I tried to PM you , but couldn't.
Could you contact me please at [email protected] .
Thanks for your input , I was hoping for more , and the fact that nobody else has worries me a little.
I've been to Tassie a few times , the last time 2 years ago , with "The Bullock Drivers League" , but also to look at an old Tasmanian Huon Pine fishing boat.
Maybe next summer I can put the Canter on the boat , and come and do a trip around Tassie , I know you have some awesome waterways !.
Regards Rob J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Lack of response...

The product is really new, so not many have had a chance to use it. Our design staff has been beating the ---- out of them for over a year in pre-release testing. We have had them in commercial use situations, fishing, diving... dragging on airplanes.

Dealers only got inventory in the last few months.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt , thats a good start , thank you !.
Is it reasonable for me to expect constant packing and unpacking will have no effect on the i12 ?.
I mean I'll probably still buy one , regardless , but should I be only unpacking the i12 on the best spots , or could I take it out at every opportunity , without worrying about deterioration .
And is it reasonable to expect that , like the other Hobie kayaks , in time , it will be able to be set up for fishing ?.
Regards Rob J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Yes... all reasonable.

Inflatables are designed for repeated folding. I am sure there is some point it becomes an issue, but I don't know that much about how different inflatables do over time. These are built with quality materials by one of the best companies that do it.

We have accessories for mounting stuff... rod holders etc. on order.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt.
Apparently the local dealer has one/some on order , and he has my phone number , so he can ring me , when they arrive.
I'll then take it to a local lake with him , in my Canter , and give it a try , as I would if I owned and was using it.
I'll keep you posted.
Regards Rob J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had to laugh at the Hobie dealer here.
Before I left his showroom , I was looking through the glossy brochure , and on page 13 there is a photo of a bloke with a magnificent looking female dragging along an Oasis .
I asked him if they came with all of the boats , his reply was "mate , if I could find the part number , I reckon I could sell heaps ".
I reckon he could too !.
Rob J.