Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weird Cracks - UPDATED!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have these weird cracks on the right (Starboard) Hull on the right side of it, from about a foot from the front to about a foot in front of the fore pylon. Now when I push down on them, there is not soft spot,. but if I lift from the side where the little overhang is, and really force it, I can make it sound like its cracking. what is this and how can i repair it... now im going to be painting my boat within the next week, so I was wondering if I can use some sort of marinetex hardner or something to seal these cracks.

Post subject: Looks like rail damage
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like rail damage rather than a delamination of the foam in the deck. A bump against something? I would grind down the gelcoat under the lip and layup some glass to stiffen it. I would thin out some clear resin and pour into the cracks on the deck to seal it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats cool, they are in a non-important area, so maybe they are from something being bumped into the hull, I dont know I just bought the hulls. is this safe to sail with still? I will sand it down and put some epoxy to harden them up though, before I paint it!

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah man, if I were you before painting it I'd sand down the area and lay one or two layers of (bidirectional) glass over it. Then if you don't want texture there, use some microbubbles mixed into epoxy (peanut butter consistancy) to fill the weave. Sand again, then paint. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A Hobie dealer in Austin Texas told me to use some marintex before I paint becasue those cracks are only gelcoat layer deap, then sand it then paint, and they should be fine... What do you guys think? Or should I go with sanding and re-gelcoating? That 1 picture doesn't do it justice, there are cracks for a good 3-4 feet down the right side of the right hull...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If they really are only gelcoat-deep and not structural, then yes Marine-Tex would be fine. I'd sand it down a little bit first to find out, though. :)

Jim

Post subject: Sounded like cracking?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Sounded like cracking when pulled on? I would stiffen up the lip from the under side. The rail / deck is a structural issue in the bows. Lots of stress up there. How about rigging it up and sheeting hard. What does that do to the cracks?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dont know, but the cracks are only in the gelcoat.. I had it looked at, and I will sand it down a tad and maybe adda a layer of bi-directional glass then paint it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

and those noises take quite alot of up pressure to make them do it!

Post subject: no big deal!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail on hulls with the same kinds of cracks. I beleive them to be mainly cosmetic. Never had any cracking sounds or anything. These hulls have been sailed hard by me and before that they were raced hard (by an A fleeter) with the same cracks. They haven't spread since I've had them although I would at least recommend filling them to prevent water from geting in. I have never had any problems (the pointy parts is still there) even with the heavy load those lips experience. That being said, if you have hulls old enough to have these kind of cracks its not like you need to worry about a little extra weight from some reinforcing glass and resin. You definitely don't have to worry about the bows falling off if you sail it before you do the work though (provided you don't have any delamination in the hulls).

Matt G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nope.. purly cosmetic... the cracks dont go deaper than the gelcoat layer, they dont even come close to the fiber-glass... gonna spend the Ney Years Weekend using some marinetex putty for all cracks that i find, then sand them,,,, then im gonna paint it.

Thaks For your help all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marine-Tex is the bomb. Be sure to post lots of pics! 8D