Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SOFT SPOTS? HELP!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was out messing around and I noticed what apears to be a soft spot :shock: althogh its not very soft. It is right where I would put a inspection hole. :D Any inputs are extremely helpful. Not to sure what to do :oops:
The other pics are a before and after this is the before. can't wairt for spring.

Thanks Todd C

goto Zatara folder or you can see my wife's doll hobbie too. 8)

http://photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]

Post subject: Re: SOFT SPOTS? HELP!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tchristian wrote:
I was out messing around and I noticed what apears to be a soft spot :shock: althogh its not very soft. It is right where I would put a inspection hole. :D Any inputs are extremely helpful. Not to sure what to do :oops:
The other pics are a before and after this is the before. can't wait for spring!

Todd, could you be more specific as to where the soft spots are? In the deck or in the hull? The method for dealing with them will depend.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim It is on the deck, I linked a pic so you could look at it. Its froward of the trap on the port Hull. let me know if you can't get to the Pic's and I'll e-mail them to you

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah buddy, they're not showing up. I quoted you to see if I could find a link to the images, but it didn't work either. If it's in the deck there is a procedure in place (ref: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/tech/delam.html ) to fix it. There are a number of threads including pictures where people have taken care of this issue. Good luck! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Many thanks, Do you know how deep to drill beween the glass? Is it a good idea to have the boat upside down? I read somthing from Matt Miller about this just not sure if this is what he was talking about.

Hope you have a great HOBIE HOLIDAYS. :wink:

Todd C

Post subject: How deep?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:18 am 
Site Admin

How deep?

Through the top layer of glass, clear through the foam and STOP at the inner glass layer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Todd,
The easiest way to avoid drilling through the inner layer is to make a stop out of a scrap piece of 2x4. All you need to do is drill a hole through the 2x4 and adjust your drill bit so it extends just barely beyond the 2x4. Drill your first test hole with the 2x4 (stop) on the drill bit. Keep extending the bit beyond the stop until you reach the correct depth. You can then use the stop to drill all the holes you want without drilling through the inner layer.
Good Luck
MJB

Post subject: cool idea mjb
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Many of us look for alternate ways to do things either out of necessity of the moment or simply out of looking for affordable options- THAT is a good one. 8)

I use a "stop collar" that came from Sears (I think) for drilling specific depths- they run $5- $10.

Before I bought the stop I used to wrap about a 1/4 inch thick layer of 1/2 inch masking tape at the desired distance up the drill bit. You would be surprised how long that lasts and how well it works. Good Luck.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Its far simpler than they are making it out to be. I drilled quite a few holes in my hull without anything besides the bit and the drill and I never drilled into the second layer. Just be careful, don't lean on the drill and you will be just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim and Stephen,

Everthing went well except for one thing I miss judged two holes out side the delam area. Thinking of mixing polyester resin with yellow to fill the holes. They are dry, hand held drill bit fits exactly where I drilled :D The soft spot is now solid every where :lol: I drilled about 20 holes and had good flow I used Git Rot, What do you guys think am I on the right track?

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it's solid then sounds like you did a good job! Just fill those two holes with dyed polyesther or epoxy and you should be fine. :)

Jim

Post subject: Laminiating resin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

According to the fix at http://www.hobiecat.com/support/tech/delam.html , I'm to inject with laminating resin. Is Git Rot the stuff to use? I mentioned same my dealer and he thought Git Rot was only for plywood repairs. Where can I obtain it or better 'laminating resin'?

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You dont need to use "Git Rot". Any polyester resin without wax (laminating resin) or epoxy resin will be fine. I would recommend West System for this repair. Any boat supply should stock this.

Post subject: Git Rot
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Git Rot is still my favorite. I did a repair with it in the mid 80's and I know the boat is still solid today. The stuff is just a type of epoxy. The benefit here is that it doesn't set up too hard and is easy to work with.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Git+Rot

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Its basically thined out resin. The idea being it is supposed to penetrate better. Who knows? :D