Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not sure the terms here, but my second hobie has 4 cleeted rollers on the front crossbeam. I was told that this is an aftermarket system for bring the jib in closer to the mast or father out to the side of the hulls while sailing... the problem is I have no idea how to rig it... There are these little rollers in the very front corners on both sides, and then there is the sheet block on a sliding rail, then about 3 inches from the mast is yet another set of sheet locks... any idea on how to rig this? also the sheet lock on the guide rails on the front dont have a way of locking into place.. i think they tie into the other sheet locks... HELP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The rig you are refering to is called a Barber Hauler system. It's used to control the slot between the Main and Jib. It works the same as a jib traveller, except that it can be adjusted on the fly. As for rigging, I couldn't really say. I have barber haulers on my keel boat, but not on my hobie. Maybe someone else could elaborate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well thats a start.. now I need to google it... maybe I will find out how... If anybody else knows how... or knows of a place with an illustration please let me know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey there,

I think you are referring to a Jib Trim kit, which is now standard on all Hobie 16s. Look in the Hobie Catalog on page 34. Online, you can see it at http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/34_35.pdf

This also gives some indication of how the line is set up. Basically, there is an added line which is tied to pull the jib cleats outboard. A length of shock cord between the two jib cars will help bring them back to the center again when the line is uncleated.

Hope that helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey,

Another picture of it can be found at Murrays catalog. http://www.murrays.com/archive/29.pdf There are different variations and block styles (as you can see), but the operation is basically the same.

...and yes, they do move the Jib inboard or outboard to close or open the slot between the main and the jib. This adjustment helps keep air accelerating across the back side of the main, creating more lift for the sail.

To use them, the jib traveller setting (the car in the track) should be approximately the same distance out (percentage wise) as the main traveller. Technically, every time you adjust the main traveller (usually on a tack or if you trying to power up or power down), you should adjust the jib traveller.

One tip : Never have the jib in MORE than the main, this closes the slot between the main and the jib, inhibits airflow behind the main. Result - you slow down. So if you are sailing solo or don't want to mess with it, keep it outboard, then just set it and forget it!