Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am considering buying a sail for my Revolution. I am wondering if any of you FISHERPEOPLE use one. Is it easily put out of the way when fishing? Does it get in the way? What's the scoop? Sailing looks like fun but I am a Fisherman that just happens to know how to sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FunJax asked:
Quote:
Is it easily put out of the way when fishing? Does it get in the way?

Hey FJ,
Check out some of the many posts by AlohaDan re fishing while sailing. He is probably our resident expert on open water fishing for large pelagics in DEEP water while sailing. Personally, I am multi-task challenged, and so far have only done one or the other, but not both. Here is one of Dan's captures, a 25-30 lb black ulua.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Dick,
As usual you have provided the needed information. I have decided not to use a sail for fishing but I may buy one anyway and use it on those windy days when I can not sight fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the sail with my Revo, and its fun, but I think it might get in the way of fishing (havent tried yet). Also the line whipping around is annoying if you let the sails go slack. And with gusts you constantly need to change rudder and shift weight, so might be more tricky than its worth.

Now sailing alone if thats what your going out to do is a lot of fun, though I think I need the sailing rudder and ST Turbo fins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea--I would have to agree with Archae. Trying to sail and fish at the same time seemed to me to take the fun out of either or both, so I have not tried, and don't plan to (I know, I know--no guts, no glory!). That's my story and I'm sticking to it (unless Roadrunner convinces me otherwise--wait though, he doesn't fish--never mind...) :mrgreen: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nod. Ive considered taking the sail as a lazy way to get back when Im done, but have a hard time finding a good place to store it when Im fishing since the only time Ive taken it out in bag I had it under the bungees on the aft section, but when fishing my anchor, water, pack, etc are there. Would be nice if you could bungee it in your unused oar holder position but its too big for the bungie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Archae,
With the sail tightly furled around the mast it will fit in the paddle holder. That's where I store mine on our Tandem and Adventure.
The easiest way to tightly furl it is to fit something like this:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8455
The bearings make it easier to furl but it will work with just the knuckle and a line.
If your bungee is too short you can easily lengthen it. Check out Roadrunners post on fittings here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8922

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:27 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Use the sail to troll. When you hookup use stringy's rig to furl it in a NY second.

Then depending on size of fish fight it with mast up. Or take it down and stash it.

Have done this not only with ulua, but 49 lb ahi.