Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I called a local rep here in central florida. They said two more weeks or so. They also said that the winch needs a rope, not a strap.

Can anyone confirm this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The winch needs line because a small block is used on the front crossbar to direct the pull straight down. I bought 30 feet of line which was way too much. 15-20 feet is more than enough. I think 3/8/inch line will do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can one of the lucky recipients (or dealers) please post a picture of what you get in the box and what it looks like installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you have an winch for the boat and one for the stepping rig?

I already use a winch with a strap to load the boat on the trailer. Will I need another to step the mast?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used the winch already on the trailer and replaced the strap with line and a new hook. You can still use it to winch the boat onto the trailer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt--Can the quick release pins be used to attach the bridle once the mast is raised and what size would we need. At age 60, it is difficult to attach the small clevis pins without glasses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tkeiser wrote:
Matt--Can the quick release pins be used to attach the bridle once the mast is raised and what size would we need. At age 60, it is difficult to attach the small clevis pins without glasses

While a quick pin will fit the forestay of the Getaway, we don't recommend it. There's a lot of load in standing rigging that could bend a quick pin. Plus the odds of an accidental release increase with a quick pin. Dropping the mast is BAD.

The only place in standing rigging that we consider to be quick-pin-safe is the H-16 non-furling forestay - it's only used to hold the mast up till the jib is raised.

If you still want to do it, use a 1/4" x 3/4" - either 20302 or 20312.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey, just got my mast raising system in. I will try to put it on this weekend . I will take pictures as I go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats!
Anxious to hear your review of this long-awaited unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am dropping mine at the beach tonight. But as far as mast raising system.... this year I will still have to depend on my wife. NO JOKES PLEASE. :wink:
I would love to see some pics of what is in the box and the whole set up.

Thank you

Post subject: My dealer called today
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My dealer called me today. I had ordered the mast raising system and the cheeta motor bracket. They came in today. If I did not have to camping with the cub scouts, I would pick them up tomorrow morning.

Looks like I will have to wait till next weekend or see if they can ship to me. I would love to see photos of this installed. I will post some when I install mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK ,
I pick my boat up from my storage yard today. The place was a ZOO, They had a rubber duck race for charity at our local pond where I keep my boat. Got her home and spent the next 2 h-3 hours cleaning the black scuff marks off that the factory cover leaves. I have figured out the pole bracket and how the lines to keep the mast from swaying are attached. My question is this, they want me to remove the furler from it's bridle and attach it to the end of the gin pole. Is this done to gain a mechanical advantage, or simply put the line up to the bow for easy access.? Those things are a pain to re-install, and a quick release pin would be begging for a disaster. Can I leave the furler in place and just run it up to the bow as I have done before??
Thanks
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I did not get it finished, but close. tkeiser, where do you attach the " hook" to the gin pole? The eye is on top of the gin pole and is used to attach the furler. Any way, I am taking pictures and when I an finished I will post them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:19 am 
Site Admin

The furler has to be above the pole. You un-pin the bridles when you lower the mast and re-pin when setting the mast up.

The "hook" for the winch line would attach to the double loop of line wrapped around the end of the pole. The line allows for a variety of winch positions, but the line is captive (tied to the eye strap) and should not move beyond the end of the pole.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt'
I think I an going to install eye on the front cross member, as well as the underside of the pole. That way I will have the ability to quickly connect the turning block and a good attachment point for the " hook". Any reason this is not a good idea?
Thanks
Paul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next