Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiller Extension
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would like to install a tiller arm extension but I'm not sure of the part number or if people are just making their own. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just made a (double) tiller extension out of PVC conduit using a "flexible elbow" in the middle, clamped to the middle of the tiller crossbar. This eliminates the need to flop the pole around the back of the boat when tacking, and gives flexibility in all directions, so nothing gets stressed when you raise the rudders.

I used 3/4" conduit because it matches the crossbar diameter, and 1/2" seemed too flimsy. The "flexible elbow" is a single item, next to the rigid conduit elbows on the store shelf. I used two pairs of the plastic conduit hangers (side-by-side & back-to-back) for the clamp, and I put solid caps on the ends of the poles. I paid about $13.00 total for all the components, including nuts, bolts and star washers at Lowe's.

I made each side 4 feet long (sticks out 1 foot beyond the tiller arm) and put a ball-bungee on each side, to hold the un-used half snug to the crossbar (& out of the way). The "flexible elbow" includes threaded couplings, so you can unscrew the poles for storage (or for Wave Class regattas, where extensions are prohibited).

With the short EZ-Lock tillers, I really felt restricted to the back corner of the boat. Now I can move up or hike out as much as I want.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great idea Indywave!

I have the same dilemma with the EZ lock version tiller. I decided a while back to get some hardware and build my own.
Basically mine will be a more traditional stick, using the standard hinge Hobie p/n 10532010 and yoke 3205, total for these is ~$16. The hinge should accomodate 1/2" PVC elec conduit. It may be a little flexible, as stated, but will only be around 3 to 4 ft long. It should be ok. PVC is tough.

The tricky part will be determing the angle to mount the yoke, as I don't want to create stress on the crossbar when it is raised vs lowered. The tiller will need to flop freely. Simply drilling the yolk bolt to 90deg vert may not work, as it would on the old style tiller. I will need to check this out carefully.

Once I actually pull the Wave out of storage and begin playing w/ installation options. I will post my results.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That angle issue was part of my thinking on mine too; but really, as long as you swing the pole to the side when you raise the tillers, you shouldn't be stressing anything. It doesn't need to flop when the rudders are up. Maybe use a ball-bungee or velcro strap to secure it to the crossbar when you raise it.

I didn't want to drill a hole in the crossbar, in case I mis-judged the angle; that's when I thought up the clamp arrangement. I wrapped some electrical tape around the crossbar first, to give the clamps some bite, then adjusted the angle to what seemed best, up and down.

Another idea I toyed with was two separate tiller extensions, off the tiller arms themselves. I saw that's what E-Scows have for their twin tillers. They swing around backwards and clip down when not in use.

I do really like the tiller extension for the freedom to move up, especially in light wind. I think the boat is noticeably faster when I sit between the seat pads, and the sterns are lifted out of the water. In heavy winds, I still sit on the back corner, but I feel like I can hike out flatter if needed.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Indy,

Any chance of posting a picture of your arrangement. I'd love to see how it looks.

Thanks,

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here are some photos of my scheme.

Note the ball-bungees to hold the poles up to the tiller crossbar; you can just slide each one to the middle when you're on that side, rather than disconnect it.

You'll have to pardon the nasty looking beach. A lot of our sand washed away this winter, and we have a serious algae problem. Our grounds chairman has promised me a load of sand soon.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What an innovative idea! I like it!

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey IndyWave,

I like your tiller extension concept.

I was toying with some ideas, as when the wind is light, I like to be further forward then my arms can comfortably reach. I am thinking of a design that pops on and off as I am sailing versus mounted.

I didn't realize that you had a "club" style WAVE. I guess my seat design probably doesn't work for that. You did get the pics that I emailed, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thank you Corey! Yes, I got the photos of the seats, and I was trying to figure out how to adapt them to a club model. I have some old beach chairs I was thinking of using, but hadn't worked it out yet.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I see you have the tendon type tiller connectors. Check into the new style connectors or the Hobie 20 type. Changing them out will save you a day of sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those are the "upgrade" white tendons. I already lost my day(s) when the original black ones broke. Are you saying these are likely to fail too?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know anything about the new tendons. I like the solid Hobie 20 style. If the new ones fail, go to the 20 style. Maybe the new ones will not give you any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

zzcoreyzz wrote:
You did get the pics that I emailed, right?

Coul;d you email a pic of those seats to me too?

dstgean AT geneva304 dot org

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very slick tller extention idea IndyWave. I've only had my Wave for a few weeks, but miss having a tiller extention, for the same reasons mentioned.

Another thought might be to look at the two-part tiller extention as used on a Bravo? It has a hinge in the middle and works well.

I must admit - I love not swinging that hotstick around the back of the boat everytime you change direction (aka Hobie 16).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bruce, welcome to the Wave family!

The Bravo's tiller extension is typical of most dinghies, which only have one tiller/rudder to contend with. The older style Wave tillers had the crossbar in front of the mainsheet, so that type of extension would have worked. But the new Waves have the crossbar behind the sheet, like a Hobie 16, so you would have to flop it around back. That's why I did a double-sided one, so there's no flopping. You just need to make sure the loose side doesn't get stuck on the tramp or something, that would jam your steering.

I see you're in Evansville, where do you sail there? On the Ohio? Patoka?

Can you make it up to Indpls for the Wave Midwest Championship Regatta next weekend?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"