Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I started the day off taking my dog to get groomed... And I thought I would go register my boat before I paint it and cover up the hull numbers. Turns out each hull had a differnt number. (This can easily be explained in the previous owner broke one and replaced one) One Hull is registered to a Gentleman in Houston Texas (So I Thought). Now I have bought 2 complete H-16's. (Four Hulls Total, 2 have the same Hull Number but are worthless hulls (Soft Spots), the second has 2 different hull numbers.) The First I bought back in may of this year. I got a bill of sale with it and nothing else.. I bought it from a dealer in Chorpus Christi Texas. The Hulls were really soft so I decided to find new hulls beofre I registered it. I bought my second h-16 2 weeks ago (12-09-04). And was going to use the hulls from it. Anyways... I went to the Texas Dept. of parks and wildlife to register them. I get the third degree... I'm detained for 4 hours while they run checks on all the serial numbers of the hulls... (To my understanding im trying to make 1 boat) they think I stole all these hulls... Now I have no titles for anything.. just reciepts.. Before 1987 they didnt even have titles... They will not register my boat becasue of the different serial numbers, until I get a title for each one... I got a history of each hull and found out that one Never had a title (But they wont register that one to me either, becasue I cant prove I bought it) one belongs to a man in Maine, and the other 2 belong to someone that died 12 years ago. I managed to find the guy in Maine and talked to him. and he says he'll help but he sold it in 2000... This is the same guy that had 1 boat with 2 differnt hull numbers... again.. one is registered to him, and the other has never been registered... probably because it was replaced at one time. I know of people all the time that buy a single hull on ebay or from Joe Bloe down the street... This guy in Maine is leary about it, becasue he sold it in 2000. but according to the great state of Texas he is the registered owner of it... The Deputy that questioned me today is coming to my house on monday to inspect these hulls. Why is this so hard for a 200 dollar boat... Now i thought about trying to register it as a home built boat, but you have to have it inspected and total up all the reciepts on it and pay taxes on the total.... This deputy told me tha I would have to add up all the hulls or complete boats that I bought to pay taxes on them. i paid a grand for one and 600 bucks for the other... WTF.. I dont understand this. I f I were in Ohio, I could just register the one hull that has never been registered and be done with it... Why are these people like this for a 200 dollar boat... and not only that, but both boats came with trailers, the trailers are worth more than the vessel themselves.... HELP any suggewtions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't register it? Image

I was told in TX if it's 16' or less and unpowered then you don't have to. ('Course I guess I could be wrong...)

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What we have here is a failure to communicate-(from Cool Hand Luke)

Wow- beaureaucrats finding ways to justify their existence so that the next round of tax cuts doesn't lose them a job. :twisted:

I am pretty sure Jaime is correct if TX laws are like NY. If not, just go with it, they are wasting time, unfortunately some of it has been yours- sorry brother- nothing you can do about that. Think though: If your boat was stolen you might be happy that this process exists to find it. Did you ask how many catamarans have been reported stolen? I bet not enough to justify this. I don't understand why you have to register two hulls instead of one boat either. This is really stupid.

If you want to approach it from a legal angle then start with your local representative and perhaps the State Attorney Generals office. It is not true that you can't fight city hall- it is just a process. Been there.

Good luck, have a beer on me... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In Texas it has to be under 14 feet to not be registered.... I'm just going to let it play out... These guys are asses, and I might go get a lawyer for this... I think the dumbasses down there think that this is some kind of 40,000 dollart boat... when its a 300 dollar boat.... I dunno.. boat I will kep you all informed..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
The Deputy that questioned me today is coming to my house on monday to inspect these hulls. Why is this so hard for a 200 dollar boat.

So....if we don't hear from you on Monday, should we call the legal defense trust fund? Or send out a marine search and rescue party? :lol:

Seriously...hang loose and roll with it. Good luck!

Drej

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think this guy thinks this boat is worth alot of money or something.... but to me... it is 1 boat pick one of the damn hull numbers and use that one... This got out of hand really fast... but at least its in the middle of winter, and im not planning on going sailing for a few months... instead of wanting to go sailing this weekend and having my boat impounded...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dude, this sounds like about par for the course for texas. I spent 6 months in Wichita Falls last year, and had serious problems with local law enforcement (me being a yankee and all). I just started repainting my hulls, and after one coat I almost couldnt read the serial numbers. Not that I'm trying to give you any ideas here, but...... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes i know, but I still need a way to come up with a serial number to get a license in texas for my boat.... I am going to paint the thing soon... I just dont know when...I'm just going to play this out...see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Keep us posted... I hope that the Park ranger (?) will understand the situation when he sees the boat and makes it easier for you to register the Hobie. A Hobie sitting on a trailer with the mast horizontal and all kinds of shrouds and wires piled on the tramp is kinda messy picture for the non-sailor. That might actually work for you. Let us know about the steps you had to take and about the $$$ spend to get the boat registered.
Before I bought the Hobie that I own now I found one without paperwork. When I called Austin's (TX) Parks and Wildlife to discuss my options they made it sound complicated enough to discourage me from buying the boat.
If P&W will not accommodate you, consider buying a junk Hobie solely for it's paperwork - sometimes it is easier to make reality match the paperwork - especially when the hull# is hand engraved in a layer of gel coat.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

he never came by.. Fu**er

he flat out told me on the phone... no title, no registration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As a former state (Minnesota) bureaucrat my advise is to find a way to beat the system, NOT fight it.

Do you have a friend in another state that can "buy" your boat, then register it in that state, then sell it back to you (with the paperwork from that state? :twisted:

H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jeff If you look at need a title in this fourm. He has all the tools to get registration acomplished. To me widerisbetter went way out of his way to contact all concerned sounds like there was a wrong by the Authorities, and if he calls the numbers and talks with the names mentioned and explains the situation. things should fall into place.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dude, I live in Texas... I have contacted all the way up to my local Texas congresswoman... They all tell me the samer.. get the title from one of the previous owners of the hulls... then I need to register each hull then they will decide which hull the will let me use for a title. IT IS 100% IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO REGISTER MY BOAT HERE IN TEXAS! I have called game wardens from every county within 200 miles of my home... THEY ALL TELL ME THE SAME THING!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a friend in Iowa helping me out.. I should be able to get this within the next few weeks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What are friends for! :D