Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Until Saturday, I had always sailed with the drive in. It was always convenient to be able to just pedal if I needed it for tacking, getting by a lee, or whatever.

So Saturday, I sailed out to the pumping station in Chicago and back. On the way back I figured I would give it a try without the drive.

What a difference! It is like releasing the brake! Now I don't need to pedal to tack, etc.

I didn't have that plug with me, so I just put my feet there to block the massive spray coming up through the hole.

Give it a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was told the fins were needed to act as a centerboard so I never tried it with out. I will try it next time out in my Revo. I have the sailing rudder so that might so that might allow no drive.

Thanks for the tip.....Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All my times out I have not tried without fins and the plug in. I will also try next time the wind is up. Lately the wind only blows prior to my arrival or after departure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BNelsonR wrote:
I was told the fins were needed to act as a centerboard so I never tried it with out. I will try it next time out in my Revo. I have the sailing rudder so that might so that might allow no drive.

Thanks for the tip.....Bruce

The AI has a centerboard that can be angled back or removed when going down wind. You need it if you want to point upwind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day jzk,
I tried out your suggestion yesterday with my AI and removed the drive when I had cleared the shore obstacles. I sat the tethered drive on the front aka x-bar with the fins tucked under the hatch bungee and put the drivewell plug in.
I agree -it was like removing the brake!! :)
The winds were only light, around 10 knots, but it felt like I was going faster than with the drive in. I really enjoyed the true sailing experience!
I didn't have time to do a proper comparison but it makes sense. Lately I have been paddling the AI in Adventure only mode when conditions are glassy smooth. Replacing the drive with the plug and pulling up the rudder increases my cruising speed by about 1.5km/h.
I can see me sailing the AI without the drive in becoming the standard for my future trips. I have always found the fluttering of the fins on the hull at speed annoying and this solves that problem. I also liked the less cluttered footwell.
I would never go out without taking the drive though. The great benefit when launching, retrieving and returning when the wind dies would be lost.
Now I need to work out a better way to store the drive when not in use. :wink:
This adds to the versatility of the AI. Thanks for the suggestion. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had sailed out to the pumping station on Lake Michigan, then I was on my way back. I had my Olympus 1030 SW waterproof camera, and while I was sailing I stuck the camera underwater in my hand to take a picture of the underside of the Kayak just for fun. I was just really surprised at how much drag my arm caused from putting the camera under the Kayak. That is what made me try pulling out the drive.

Yeah I agree with you about always taking the drive along with. I use it to pedal out to where I would start sailing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'd like to take it out too but I'm not sure how best to store it so I can get to it when I'm coming back into shore. Any recs?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SailHo wrote:
I'd like to take it out too but I'm not sure how best to store it so I can get to it when I'm coming back into shore. Any recs?

I put mine in the well behind my seat. It got snagged by the mainsheet and flung overboard. Now I have a new one and a leash for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aint that always the way Tom! :? I get my AI next week and will immediately tie a lanyard to the drive. Thanks for confirming what we should all really expect but often ignore till it's too late. :( Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

SailHo wrote:

I have sailed in very strong wind, with big swell, and the drive out. I had no problems with controlling the AI. I use a leash, and tuck the fins into the front hatch elastic, and make sure the drive shaft lies in the gap made by the edge of the hatch. It's never moved. From there its very easy to recover and fit, as I had to do when I lost my paddle. And you only need a short leash, as leashes everywhere are a nuisance. There's one for the drive, one for the paddle, and one for me to the AI. And that's without any fishing gear aboard!

But the plugs a problem, when removed, and I expect to lose that one day too. Need to figure out how to secure it.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just put the drive well plug inside the round hatch in front of me. It can move around a bit in there, but hasn't migrated out of reach.

I also put the daggerboard well plug in there. For that, I hung a little rope toggle from the inside hatch rim, and I stick the string on the daggerboard well plug through the rope loop. Keeps it from getting away inside the hull, but is easy to flip free when you want to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Ray wrote:
I just put the drive well plug inside the round hatch in front of me. It can move around a bit in there, but hasn't migrated out of reach. .

That's a possible, but when its really rough out there, I try not to open the hatch, cause there's water everywhere, even if you point into the wind. For one thing I have the waterproof Hobie "fishing" tackle box in there, with my car keys, so I would have to remove that, and you can't just open the hatch a wee bit to do that, it has to be 100% open. My dagger board plug came with a leash, so I have never had to worry about that.

Geoff.