Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re-sealing the hull (?)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Okay, got another question for y'all... as long as I'm gonna be at my boat with a big tube of silicone this weekend to seal my mast better, I may as well try to re-seal my hulls.

Like a lot of people I guess, when I'm flying a hull for any amount of time, water gets in (from where I dunno) so that I have to drain quite a bit out when I'm done sailing.

Where does this water come in and where can I put silicone to prevent it? Should I put a bead all the way along under the lip of each hull? Or scrape around the pilons and put fresh silicone there? Or what?

Thanks! 8D

Warm regards,

Jim

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Most likely, it is coming in around the pylons. I was having the same problem, and all I had to do was scrape the old sealant off and get it nice and clean. Then I used 3M 5200 Marine sealant on all the pylons. It's really good stuff, and remains flexible even in the sun and salt water.

I'm not sure, but if the water is coming in where the deck meets the hull, that could be a structural problem. I would think you would need epoxy and fiberglass for that.

Marcus
H14
Narragansett Bay

Post subject: Leak detection
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Check out the Leak detection information in the FAQ area of this forum:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=169

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, guys.

Check this out - one hull I get the PFFFT of air when I remove the drain plug... and yet somehow I also get water out. Go figure. I don't know exactly where the water is coming in, but I'll start with the area around the pylons and go from there. If I can get a buddy to blow in the drain area then maybe I can find the source of the leaks. 8D

Warm regards,

Jim

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Okay, I put fresh silicone around all the pylons (top and bottom) so hopefully there'll be less leaking. :D

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well okay, the silicone around the pylons stopped water from getting into the port hull, but the starboard one still takes on a few pints.

Yesterday I un-stepped the mast, removed the rudders, and with some help flipped the boat upside-down. Then I added a little blue dye to some epoxy and drew a bead all the way around both hulls on the hull/deck seam. I dunno if this will help but it can't hurt. I meant to take some pics but I forgot my camera, so... alas. I added the blue dye (a) so that I can tell at a glance if any epoxy has fallen off and (b) my mainsheet is blue so it'll kinda match. :)

Anyway, wish me luck. Heh

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I first got my boat, she would take on lots of water. More than enough, everytime I beached I drained it all out. I was comming to think, "HEY I got a water making machine! to bad its salty"

But seriously. When I restored her, I removed the old inserts inside the pylons, and put new foam in. I bought that foam you can buy in department stores. The kind of foam you spray on and it starts to expand. I sprayed plenty of that stuff into the pylons. Sealed around the pylons with sealant and all the plugs and hardware, wich are brand new, were sealed as well. Now everytime I take my boat out, NO WATER comes out. It amazes me how dry she stays. 8) It may be worth while to look inside the pylons, and while you are it, epoxy that frame! Trust me on this. YOU WILL NOTICE the difference. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh, I'm *definately* looking into epoxying the frame. I need to research that some more, but it'll probably be a few more months before I get around to doing that. I'll have a better idea when exactly probably... next weekend. I find out my next assignment on Friday so then I'll start making plans for the spring. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Jim,

You probably already found this, but this is a great illustrated guide on what to do if you do epoxy your frame. Have used it on two different boats to date.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/www.catsail.com/archives/v3-i2/feature1.htm

Good luck! (and on your next assignment)

Drej

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Then I added a little blue dye to some epoxy and drew a bead all the way around both hulls on the hull/deck seam.

JIm just wondering if it has helped? :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To be honest, I haven't had the chance to get out yet since I did that. I was thinking of going today or tomorrow, but I can't say for sure yet! I'll be sure to let you know. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I just got back. (And showered.)

The wind was ~15mph but it kept switching directions which made things kind of annoying. Anyway, after being out for 2½ hours or so, I can report a satisfying "pffft" sound from *both* hulls now. This made me think that I wouldn't get any water out, but actually I got maybe 1-2 pints from each hull.

Note that I didn't capsize at all today (mainly because the water was cold and my GF doesn't have a wetsuit, so I was taking it real easy with 50°F water) but both the hulls DID get out of the water quite a bit. That is still much less water out of the starboard hull than before. :D

All in all, a great day!

Warm regards,

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim,
Sounds like a good winter time fix 8) Mine is about a month away :mrgreen: . What type of epoxy did you use?

Good sails
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just used about 5 tubes of the waterproof "2 Ton" epoxy from Lowe's. $1.95 each or something like that. :)