Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

My seat is coming loose after a while.
I knock (with my knuckles) the two pins in their holes as deep as I can but these still come out after some time.
Is it me shifting too much in my seat :? or common "problem"?
Is there a simple solution?

Gilbert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dikkop,

This is a common "complaint." A lengthy discussion can be found at http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5086057385/m/7461070694?r=2481080994#2481080994.

The most severe solution is to pound (use a mallet) the seat pegs into the peg holes. This is sort of a permanent fix, which I don't like because I like to remove the seat after each trip. It also seems to me that pounding the pegs into the peg holes may sooner or later cause those holes to fail (which they are known to do on occasion) with subsequent major leakage into the hull.

One person on the above link suggested (actually his wife suggested) putting a piece of kitchen-drawer, non-slip pad under the seat. It worked for him. I tried it. First, I removed the pegs, then put the rubberized non-slip pad down. Here is a picture:
The seat does not slip with the non-slip pad.

I have suggested elsewhere that Hobie should get rid of the seat pegs and the problematic peg holes in the hull. Then, put a non-slip bottom on the seat, and, EUREKA!, the proplem of the slippery seat is solved.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your suggestion. I definitly try the non-slip pads.
It is indeed a simple solution.
I would think that using this pads in combination with the pegs would be ideal but I see that you have removed the pegs.

Thanks again!
Gilbert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dikkop,
One simple solution is to wrap the seat pegs with tape. If there is a lot of play, try good old duct tape or electrical tape, either of which might work. If the fit is semi-tight, try Teflon tape (also known as plumber's tape) that is very thin and used to seal water lines, faucets, hoses, vacuum lines, etc. I have used it to seal vacuum lines in various electron microscopy applications, as well as for the usual plumbing repairs. Try different thicknesses of wraps until you get the result you are looking for. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

Tapping the pegs in with something other than just the palm of your hand is suggested. Anything to get them seated tighter. You don't have to tap them in permanantly, just use common sense about how hard you tap them in and they will come back out when you want them to.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Seat (Poor Design)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Seat for my AI does the exact same thing, more so while sailing. No one with Hobie seems to have a (factory) fix. They act like they do not have a problem with the seats for the AI.

I am talking to a Seat Manufacture about this and he seems to have a fix for the AI seats. Please post your problems if any, about the seats and I will send a link to him so he (the Manufacture) can read any and all while coming up with new seat that will offer support and not move around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I removed the seat pegs after about a month of use. They were always coming out and folding under the seat (uncomfortable) and causing premature wear on the seat. I also replaced the bungee cord on the back of the seat with piece of webbing with a buckle. I've been using this method since July last year. Working great......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Don.
Welcome to the Hobie Forum and thanks for the tip. Whatever works is my motto! Glad you figured out a satisfactory solution.
Best,
Dick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

donjoe wrote:
I removed the seat pegs after about a month of use. They were always coming out and folding under the seat (uncomfortable) and causing premature wear on the seat. I also replaced the bungee cord on the back of the seat with piece of webbing with a buckle. I've been using this method since July last year. Working great......

Hey Donjoe,
The seat we are trying to get made is just like that only with pegs on the bottom of seat. Four heavy duty web straps, two in front, two to the rear. Will require an eye pad on each side in rear to be installed.

Anyone else have a problem with the seats? Let us know what your ideas are for a solution to your situation. I'd like to get all the questions asked now while we are developing the seat. A seat everyone will benefit from.

We will be experimenting on two AI's (2007 models) and an Outback!

Thanks again donjoe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I put a piece of kitchen-drawer, non-slip pad under the seat as Keith suggested to me and all is OK now. (And I still use the seat pegs.)
Again as Keith suggested, the seat manufacturer could solve this problem by putting a non-slip bottom on the seat. Simple and efficient.

Gilbert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dikkop wrote:
Hi,

I put a piece of kitchen-drawer, non-slip pad under the seat as Keith suggested to me and all is OK now. (And I still use the seat pegs.)
Again as Keith suggested, the seat manufacturer could solve this problem by putting a non-slip bottom on the seat. Simple and efficient.

Gilbert

Hey Gilbert,
Thanks for the update. I agree with you "Keep Pegs" and add "NON-SLIP PADS" to the bottom of the seat! My seat is moving back wards and folding up onto "itself".
(FYI - I purchased my AI Aug '07, and have only been out in it about 10 times. Everything is like Brand NEW!)

I have sent a link to this forum to the Manufacture, so he can keep up with "Complaints & SUGGESTIONS" for the new seat. I know he will benefit from the input and this will save him time and make us a new seat to perform the way we would like it to and offer complete comfort for the consumers!

His seat already incorporates four straps, two in front and two in the rear. I was really glad to read from "donjoe" that he added a "webbing strap" to the bottom and that seemed to help him. Having learned that, I think the input from you about the Importance of "the pegs" and ADDING the non-slip bottom will give us something to work with.

A friend of mine was reading about the hull. Where the "PEGS" are inserted into the hull, Hobie seems to have a weak spot in the holes in the hull for these "PEGS". According to what (Matt Miller - Hobie Admin.) replied about this problem, I wouldn't suggest "ADDING" any thing to the PEGS to make them fit "TIGHTER". I'm thinking this may cause premature, or more wear in an already weak spot in the hull. Maybe Matt Miller could tell us what part # to order, to replace the Seat PEGS, if they are worn, so we will not have to add anything to the pegs? Matt may know an even better way to remedy this "Loose Peg Problem"?

IF Hobie were to understand the problem fully, they could come up with a "Adhesive permanent glue on type NON-SLIP PAD, so thin that the pegs will do their job and hold the seat still". Along with ADDING a non-slip grip on the bottom of the seat would nail it down for sure!

Please keep the information coming. We'll get a fix for this problem with more input.

Thanks,
David

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

FYI; Link to the Cracks that show up in the "Hull" at the "Seat Peg Hole"

Here's the link; (Thanks for the link JB)
<URL: http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 5671028444 >

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Reading about the potential for cracks in the holes reaffirms my decision to leave out the seat pegs. That seat well sees a lot of water while sailing, besides, my seat has been working great without them. I will definately try the non slip pad. I bought a bunch of the stuff a while back to hold down small pieces of wood while using my router. Thanks Keith for the idea!

Post subject: Hobie seat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

had this issue the first time I had an Adventure Kayak.

Fixed with four pieces of marine grade velcro...put the wool on the seat otherwise it picks up stuff in your truck or storage bag

Post subject: Seat movement
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried the placemat/rug holder method with limited success. Material was too flimsy to stay in place.

While at IKEA the other day I picked up a rubber bathmat ($2.99) and cut it out to match the bottom of the seat (with cutout for seat pegs) and installed it with the suction cups down to the hull. Seems to be working fine after a couple of times out. Also adds a bit of cushioning which is a plus.