Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Righting Bag Question
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Question for the group. I bought an '81 Hobie last summer. Sailed it a ton and loved it! I'm ready to launch for the summer this weekend (I live in Massachusetts - it's been cold)!

Anyway, the boat came with a righting bag, but did not come with the line. Can anyone tell me what the length of the line is? I never flipped solo last summer, but I suspect that will change this year. I'd rather know ahead of time then try to figure it out on the fly!

Thanks.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Depends on the boat and the users height. Hooks to the striker, leads to the upper hull then your shoulder in the righting position fully extended.

We use 15.5 feet.

#30107 - THE RIGHTING BUCKET. #30107 - Page 1 of 1
Instructions
1 .Run line around dolphin striker, pass through small loop and pull tight.
2. Snap line to ring on bucket, fold into quarters and tightly wrap entire line around bucket making a roll with snap
exposed. Snap to lacing under trampoline.
3. On Cats without lacing, install small loop of line through mesh behind mast.
4. The "loop handle" in the line that attaches to the bucket can be repositioned to suit your height and arm length.
Simply untie it (a simple double line overhead knot) and retie in the desired position.
Use
1. Have mast pointing into wind.
2. Unsnap from lacing, leave line attached to bucket, throw over hull. Unsnap bucket and fill
completely with water. Resnap. Standing on hull, place hand in loop. Fully bend knees with line over
shoulder straighten legs so bucket comes completely out of water. "Presto", up comes your cat. The secret is
the added weight out on the end of your lever.
3. Can be stored away wet, it will not rot.
Other Uses
1. "Heave to" with bucket in water for swimming off boat.
2. Have you ever had your cat sail off the beach without you? Simply add a little sand in the righting bucket on the
beach.
3. Good for washdown. Getting that sand and mud off tramp, etc.
4. Snap Righting Bucket on boom and carry six-packs, towels, jackets, etc.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have tested my water bag over the last weekend with somewhat unsatisfactory results.

For the test I sailed into a cove and flipped the boat.
1. I unhooked the bag from under the tramp, threw it over the hull and put it in the water. Perfect.
2. The problem - I could not fill the bag full with water. I tried many times, I was dipping it, I was swaying it, I used my hands to put water in. No, the best I could do was only about half of the bag. How do you all fill it full?
3. With the bag half full, I started pulling on the line, but the boat did not even move.
No, there was no wind in the cove, so this contributed to the issue.

So, my questions remain - how to fill up the bag full? It was calm in the cove and I had all time I needed, but when the waves will pound me and that big freighter will be coming towards me, I won't have that time...

Post subject: Righting Bag question
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt,

I neglected to tell you that it's an H-16. Could have saved you a little writing! I'm 5-10 so I'll use 15.5 feet for starters and work from there.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Waiting to hear someone pipe in on this as I am considering a righting bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The righting bag needs to stay in the water, keeping it full, until you have positioned yourself, crouching under the line, on the hull. As you stand under the righting line you should be lifting the line and the bag should lift out of the water. With my weight @ 165, I noticed that the closer the bag and I are to the water, the better the leverage. As the boat starts rising, the bag will sing back into the water but you should be able to complete righting. If the boat starts sinking once the bag hits the water, try positioning the bag to clear the water a little more.