Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which do you like more
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just got the new midpole and deciding what to do about the tack line... any opinions on the one-line-does-all system vs a separate tack-line?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

the one line does all is nice for easy use or if your going to be crew swapping. If you are hard core you want the separate tack line. It gives you the ability to let out a meter of line at the tack to reach if you over shoot the mark. last weekend i had rookie crew and had to keep telling him which line to put up and take down first. but i did have him put the tack out on the reach to the offset mark at a.

I also sailed another boat the same weekend with the one line set up. I didn't see any real advantage either way and we were both using the "SNU" mid pole system.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The seperate tack line should be better for racing, as you can get the tack out before reaching the buoy and then there is less halyard to get up the kite, so faster. For just recreational sailing the combined system is less complicated to use and makes it easier for you to find a crew. With the seperate system, an unexpierienced crew will always tear a lot when getting down the spi and the damned thing just doesnt go entirely back in. Its just to easy to forget to release the tack. In this case the system that some Tornados use (the helmsman can release the tack with a line which goes back underneath the tramp) is of big help.