Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I was about 4 miles out in Lake Michigan in some pretty good winds that were really gusty. And the point by gusty is that for the most part, a partially furled sail was not enough sail, but every few minutes, the winds would pick up so severely that it was borderline out of control 1/4 reefed.

So normally to avoid weather helm in that situation, I just ease the sheet as necessary, then pull it back in.

But, I just so happened to be filming with my right hand, and steering with my left. When the gust hit, I just had to ride it as the weather helm turned the AI up wind.

But once it subsided, I coudln't turn right. My choice was really left to somewhat straight. It seemd that the rudder "slipped." Playing with it for a bit caused it to "slip" back to normal.

What to do? I haven't taken the AI off of my truck yet to look at it closer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess the first question that comes to mind is what up/down system are you using?

The up/down handle (old style) or the newer version that uses a pair of lines for the up/down operation?

The older handle depended very much on a hold down clip and notch built into the twist & stow rudder. Once that rudder type gets knocked out of its notch when under sail it will require playing with the tiller while not moving much in order to get it to lock back in.

The up/down lines are supposed to "bungie" the rudder into a down position and prevent that from happening.

Yakaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the older style with the lever. To be honest I like it better than the new one (as long as I don't have this problem continualy!). When this happened I looked back and it just seemed like the rudder was hard one way. Going back and forth made it slip back in.

This happened twice, and the wind was blowing out and the waves were building such that I thought it might not be a good idea to be out there without a rudder especially with the water temps in the high forties low fifties.

Ater the second time I got it to slip back in, I was very careful on the sheet so that I could immediately ease in order to keep minimal pressure on the rudder in a gust.

Is there anything that needs to be tightened, etc. on a regular basis?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have 2 Islands that still use the older up/down single handle.

What happens is that the pressure of the water causes the rudder to unlock. You experience the same problem if you raise the rudder (say to clear debris) while under sail. You almost have to come to a complete stop and waggle the tiller handle to regain a positive lock.

You can check to see if the drum bolt is too loose - but don't make it too tight as it will be harder to raise or lower the rudder. You can use the plastic lock down screw which some have used with mixed results. The lock screw prevents you from raising rudder - so it must be put on and removed while on the water.

One idea is to keep your up/down handle intact and simple add 1/2 of the new up/down rudder line/handle kit. Specifically add just the down hold line/handle. So your T&S rudder becomes a hybrid and the down line lock engaged only during gusty conditions.

Kayaking Bob and a few other Island owners in Hawaii were the first to test new up/down handle lines on the T&S for Hobie. I believe that is precisely how they tested it - by adding just the down lock line and single pull rope to the existing old style up/down handle.

This may give you the best of both worlds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, I will look into the mod.

Here are a couple of videos from that day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgMHRabkMIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTIq7IhU84Y

Post subject: Loose drum
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I checked that drum, and you were right, it was EXTREMELY loose! I could hand tighten the bolt quite a bit! This is something I will be checking more carefully more often.

Thanks!!!!