Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:30 pm 
Well it has been quite a Summer and my Wave has seen plenty of use. This Saturday the weather was pretty strange here on Long Island. It felt like a thunderstorm was going to hit any moment, but then the sun would come out briefly instead. Winds were 25 MPH and I was eager to see just how fast I could go. I launch from a boat ramp in Lido Beach, on the South Shore and sail mostly in Reynolds Channel and the back bays. I had doubts about going out and they were calling for storms later in the day...but I figured I would just go right in front of the marina. Once clear lee of the seawall I realized just how strong the winds were. With the sail all the way out I was flying a hull (though not high....only a foot or so) and the gps said 12.6 knots. I tacked to go back because when I started to head down wind the bows started to get real low in the water and I was concerned about pitchpoling. So, upwind I went and tack back. I was in the marina and putting my sails away when several people who had been watching came over to chat and said I was nuts for going out.

What is the most wind anyone (sane) has sailed a wave in? Why to the bows get so low in the water are will the dig in?

This boat is SO MUCH fun. 10-15 mph winds are perfect for it.

Anyone want to come sailing on LI?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:27 am 
I had a similar experience in Lake Michigan off the shore of Highland Park, IL. Earlier that day a Hobie 16 had been towed back after it had "turtled" in 25-30 mph winds.

People told me I was nutz to be sailing such a small cat in the weather we had this day, but I had guests (whom had never been sailing) that I promised an exciting day.

To answer your question about pitch poling, it will do this if you do not have the mast raked back enough for the heavier winds. While we were out there, I had mistakenly jibbed in REALLY HEAVY WIND. I was really suprised that I didn't blow out the mast from sound of the main slamming over and narrowly missing a couple of heads on the way. In all this excitement, I lost my senses of where the wind was coming from, and started to loose control of the boat, so I let go of the main. At that point I realized the wind was almost directly behind me, and both bows took an accelerated plunge almost all the way up to the back stays. :shock: Now luckily the wind let up for a moment, and I was able to get my bearings, and head the boat almost directly upwind to keep the main somewhat stalled.

In the end we all made it back safely to the harbor, and although about 6 Coronas later, still completely sober.

Post subject: Bows
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:36 am 
Site Admin

The Wave is short and has a fairly large sail for its size. The rig is also quite forward. In addition, the sail is "boomless" and there is no traveler control. This is all meant to be simple.

In higher winds, most of those points add up to higher loads on the bows when reaching and going downwind. Even as you sheet the sail out, the sail becomes fuller and powerful up high. That adds more load to the bows as well.

Add more crew on the boat and the boat sits lower still.

Sit as far aft as possible. Rake the mast more aft as noted above. Sail courses higher into the wind. Sail with freinds on lighter days. Leave them on the beach in the higher stuff. I sit clear aft tucked under the tiller arm. If you keep aft and sail single handed in higher wind, the Wave is a BLAST.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Too much wind?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I wrote that about 6 months ago and I can tell you....I miss sailing!
It is 15 degrees here on LI and I can not wait for the first decent day to go out on my Wave and have some fun. Thanks for the feedback. The best thing about this board is the education I am getting!

Fair winds,
Jeff

Post subject: Pitch poling
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:32 pm 
I bought my wave last year and had an incident like you described. Problem is the boat flipped on it's side. The mast ball keep it afloat but the tramp acted as a sail and the boat just sailed on. After a good hard swim I caught up and set it back down very easily. And you are right I can't wait either til we can sail again. With all this snow all I can do is visit the hobie web site and dream!!! :lol: Neil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In stronger winds I've also noticed that the bows on the Wave want to submerge.

One simple adjustment that can be made on the water is to unlock the rudders from the vertical position they normally get locked into.

This helps because at speed the virtually perpendicular, locked down rudders on the WAVE actually tend to create some lift at the stern of the boat. This changes the attitude/angle of attack and increases the tendency of the hulls to submarine--instead and riding over incoming chop etc. The closer to horizontal the unlocked rudders are the less lift will be created at the stern. The drawback is that your arms will get a workout keeping the boat on course, but tweaking the rudder angle to something between horizontal and perpendicular to the water surface can minimize this.

Another adjustment that can be made on the beach is to change the mast angle so it rakes back toward the stern of the WAVE by connecting the forward mast stay to a longer (9 hole instead of 6 hole or 3 hole) connector. This will change the metacenter/center of gravity of the boat so that more weight is aft and the angle of attack/attitude of the boat will be such that it will be more likely to ride over chop. This adjustment may increase speed in some conditions too as the changed trim seems to cause the wetted hull surface to be slightly smaller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In addition to racking the mast towards the stern,keeping a rigid control over the sail and reach are the single most important aspects of high wind sailing on the wave. Downhaul in high winds will certainly pitch pole the wave,15 kts+ always works unless you trim in.Recently in Ponce Inlet we experienced 35 kts + gusts to 48 kts and I was nuts enough to go out. I maintained control over the pitch pole problem by holding a tight mainsheet, however, the wind blew me over upon a small tack and then headed my boat into the swampy shores. It takes a lot of hard work but you can control the wave in high winds without going over or pitch polling.
Weight shifting and main sheet -reach control are the key to high wind on the wave. Don't latch the halyard when raising the sail so that it may be released in a hurry if you get into trouble in high winds.Tie it off :shock:

Post subject: Traveler Kit
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:58 am 
Site Admin

I have created a traveler kit for the Club Wave. Using a traveler on the main sheet can allow much better control in higher winds. Less pitch pole issues too!

The kit is now in our system, but this is the first reference to it. Dealers are not yet informed.

Part number is 39250000 $198.95

H16 deep profile track, car (111) and swivel cleat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)