Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

exactly... but since one serial is titled to someone that is most likely dead, and the other has never been registered... they want proof of where I got it.. and I can't do that becasue I bought it froma junk yard and told the person I just needed one hull...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
How important is it to title your cat? If the are telling you that you cannot register it due to the fact it never had a title or was registered before, then they have let you off the hook.

Hudsondude hmmm, nee it is not that easy. You deal with park rangers and game wardens and other folks that will let you know that your boat is not registered. Most of the sailing here happens on man-made lakes or on national seashores. You can be sure that there will be a representative of the law citing you for that type of violation.

Patrick

Post subject: Just a thought
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Isn't there a guy out there that goes by the moniker "Leatherface" who owns a chainsaw? :twisted: I bet you could get him to help out for the price of a few good cuts of meat Buhahaha!!! :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"but since one serial is titled to someone that is most likely dead, and the other has never been registered... they want proof of where I got it.. and I can't do that becasue I bought it froma junk yard and told the person I just needed one hull..."

Dude- Just for the heck of it I called the main office of Texas Parks etc
1-800-262-8755. I took the option of talking to a real person where I explained the entire situation, just as it has been posted here.

A young lady, Joann, confirmed that building the boat from salvaged parts will present a problem (No duh!) It is not impossible however. That is has two hulls also presents a problem. (more no duh!) She believes that you were on the right track when the deputy was supposed to show up and inspect the boat back in December. He is supposed to help you get a single, State-assigned serial number. All they are really trying to do is confirm that the hulls aren't stolen.
I told her, as you wrote, the deputy never showed up. She said something like "eeesh, that's not good". I asked if black market, stolen and chopped H-16's were a real problem to which she had no answer but acceded that this would be a good thing to bring up to the deputy. She suggested that you try the process again, and if your local P&W guy doesn't show up then call the 800 number, pick "0" for an operator, and ask to talk to someone in law enforcement. They are ultimately responsible to see that you get your boat on the water so they can collect your fees and make money off of you for the rest of your boating life. :wink:

Hope this is useful. As a few of us have said- go as far up the ladder as possible. Just in case you don't have it, there is more information here
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/boat/forms.phtml

Also, in case you wish to examine other options, there are two forms that look like they might apply from the online resource. You might like to look these over before you start things again with the local timewasters. :roll:
Bonded Title Process (Instructions)
Request for Bonded Title Application Review
Instructions: PWD 388A (PDF 20 KB)
Request for Bonded Title Application Review: PWD 388 (PDF 22.6 KB)
· This form is used to accompany existing applications and supporting documentation for either a boat or outboard motor, which does not qualify for titling due to a lack of documentation involving a title, bill of sale or invoice, or vessel obtained through an inheritance.
· Completed form will be used to review and assess the circumstance to determine if a bonded title is appropriate.
· Do not send fees with this application. Fees will be determined upon review and included in additional correspondence

Affidavit of Facts
PWD 314 (PDF 16.7 KB)
This form is used to provide written explanations of specific situations.
Form is used as a support document. Submit with applicable form(s):

Good luck to you. -10 here and 30-40 mph gusts. It's winter for sure :shock: Peace out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

8) Stephen 8) This is what the HOBIE WAY OF LIFE is all about :!: :!:

I bet he is up and screaming on a broad reach by Saint Pats day.
Good on you Stephen.

Todd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

see my new thread: Can't beat 'em join'em hell with that. Beat Em! every time..