Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone sailed to Catalina from LA? I was concidering a trip from Marina Del Rey to Catalina which is about 36 miles with the prevailing wind making it a straight shot (I think). I know it is doable but would like any advice from those that might have done it? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would do it. I am planning to sail from Miami to Bimini sometime soon which is about 49 miles or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can you do that from dawn to dusk or does it require trying to get some sleep on deck?! Are you doing it alone or with other AIs?
Miami to Bimini sounds like a great trip. Enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would leave a couple of hours before sunrise. Should be a 10 hour trip, but could be 14.

No way would I want to sleep, as the Gulfstream would send me north in a hurry!

Post subject: la-catalina
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

been discussing it with a beach bud of mine from malibu...you should bring your AI up to malibu....i sail near the pier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've sailed up there a few times from MDR. I'm yet to see another AI in my neck of the woods so it'll be good to meet you guys. How often are you out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is anyone interested in doing a trip to Catalina from Marina Del Rey. My plan would be to sail out in a day. Camp on the island for 2 days (maybe longer) and return in a day. I hope to do this in Late July - early August, work permitting. It would mean bringing in all supplies and camp gear. May stay longer out there to sail around the island if anyone was into that. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I am in Las Vegas but would be interested in a trip with other people to Catalina. I would not think of doing it by myself. I am also working on a trip down the Colorado River from Hover Dam to Davis Dam in Laughlin Nevada. I am thinking in October ( it is a little too hot in July 113). Let me know if anyone is interested.

Don Young
Las Vegas
[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Don, good to hear you might be interested in a trip to Catalina. I'm hoping to get one more AI on board as a minimum of 3 would be my preference. 4 or 5 total would be better - safety in numbers. I can be contacted via email at [email protected]
Thanks. Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AJMENZIES wrote:
Don, good to hear you might be interested in a trip to Catalina. I'm hoping to get one more AI on board as a minimum of 3 would be my preference. 4 or 5 total would be better - safety in numbers. I can be contacted via email at [email protected]
Thanks. Andrew

AI from Long Beach here, COUNT ME IN! Been waiting for someone to bring up this topic, I sail my AI in the Long Beach harbor all the time, mostly weekends now since I been working. '07 Red AI! I am down for this trip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks SWEETDUDE for considering the trip, I too have a red O7. I have also put the call out on the sailing open forum to see if other classes of Hobie small craft are interested or have advice for the trip as I know there is a hobie race that has been held from LA to Catalia and there is even a Kayak tour as well ( http://www.ckf.org/Reports/2000/00-09-Catalina.htm ) so I know there are people out there into this trip. Keep checking into the website to see how it develops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Andrew,

You can email me at [email protected] when you get more info on the trip. I was in San Diego this past weekend and had a blast. I stayed mostly in Mission Bay but I did go out the channel to see what it was like in the swells. The AI did great got a little wet but I was not cold at all. I did a total of 26 miles of sailing and peddling over the two and a half days. I found that drinking a lot of water is important. Otherwise I get cramps in my calfs really bad. I did not see another AI down there but had a lot of people come up to me on the beach and check out the AI. With a dealer there I thought that I would see more. Mostly I saw Hobie Fishsing Kayaks alot.

We should start discussing what equipmet we might need, camping, safty, lights, etc. Let me know what you think and keep in touch.

Don Young
Las Vegas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jzk,
Wow, sounds like a fun trip to Bimini. I wish I had the nerve to take on such a trip. I know once I got out of sight from the shore that my mind would start messing with me; I would get paranoid about things breaking and ending up on the gulfstream express.

Enjoy!!! Please share the experience!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... t=catalina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey dwest

I enjoyed reading the info you sent and safe lots of the links. Did you ever make the trip and if so how did it go.

Don