Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am buying a AI soon, yipee, and have paid deposit on a Red Hibiscus as my dealer has only one left, but has numerous Yellow (Golden Papaya) AIs, so i can change my mind before delivery. I test rode/sailed a yellow AI and like the sail combo of yellow and blue, but when i looked at the hull rigging of yellow and black, i thought it a bit gaudy.

But then i have concerns that the red AI will absorb more heat (in our Australian summers) making it hotter to be in, in fact my dealer did mention that he has seen a standard cart leave impressions in the underside of the Red AI hull around the scupper holes due to weight of the rig sitting on the cart on a hot day - does anyone else know of this and maybe it can happen to a yellow AI the same?

I have noticed that the standard cart on page 16 of the products page does not have any foam padding on the shafts where the shafts meet the hull, although i have noticed a few photos in Hobie Forum with this addition, are they added for that very reason of otherwise deforming the hull around the scupper holes?

A few other thoughts on the great colour debate, the yellow is certainly more visible, when comparing both hulls on the water, so is this a safety thing and same goes for trailering, especially at night. Same goes for derigging at dusk or low light conditions would make the yellow with black contrast stand out better.............but then i do like the hibiscus red, so please help with your comments.

Post subject: Colour Choice
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I definitely believe that the yellow safety advantages outweigh hibiscus red. For that reason, I chose the yellow for visibility at sea in poor light/difficutl conditions.

I have also noticed that in direct sunlight, red seems to fade but maybe that will also happen the yellow A1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Regardless of which color you choose, it's a good idea to remove the cart when storing your AI. I have a yellow one, and have seen the cart leave a dent after only a few hours on a warm, Washington, DC day. Use the cart for transport, but not storage.

- Jim L

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks lads for your comments, i have deciced to stay with the Red Hibiscus - after all red does go faster - and all of the cool Youtube videos of the AIs are with red hulls, the yellow hull videos show cunning and daring for sure BUT really wet skippers.

And i am glad to know that the yellow hull will dent just the same as the red hull if left for too long under the hull weight, BUT i wonder if the foam additions i have seen on some cart photos on forum fix that problem - nyone care to comment? (Mr Miller might know?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think the tennis balls are a great idea and also wondered if pipe insulation might do the same job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day i tri,

Good decision on the Red as they have just got to handle Moreton Bay well (because, as you observed, red does go faster).

If worried about the hull getting hot while sailing just beat into the wind & chop for a while and everything will get cooled/wetted down very nicely.

I've already left my red AI assembled and on the cart for several hours on a couple of occasions without any noticeable indentations but plan not to do that too often (especially in Summer) ie on the cart for transporting only and then remove for longer term storage.

Mind you, I've only had mine for 6 weeks so am still a novice.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

saipedaddlefisher - when i get my AI (after trailer modified) i want to try some sailing in Moreton Bay, i just did a recce of some locations and boat ramps near where i am, Redcliffe has some good locations, where do you launch your AI?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i tri wrote:
saipedaddlefisher - when i get my AI (after trailer modified) i want to try some sailing in Moreton Bay, i just did a recce of some locations and boat ramps near where i am, Redcliffe has some good locations, where do you launch your AI?

I usually launch at the end of Shields Street, Redcliffe. There's a handy concrete path to the beach beside the groyne. Was out there today and picked up 3 Bonito, 1 Tailor, and a nice Squire while trolling at 7-12 KPH in 10-15 Knots of WSW.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

saipedaddlefisher - thats great fishing, i always thought the front of Redcliffe would be hot especially in winter with light westerlies, i guess the absence of an outboard motor to be an advantage as well. I am firstly interested in the sailing aspect of the AI and also intend to join the Lake Samsonvale Water Sports Assoc to sail/race on lake occasionally, but am also keen to catch some fish to boot!

I will have to check out that launch site off Shields St, i guess you use cart from home to beach, you must have the new trax with fat tyres to get over the sand on the beach? I only ordered the standard cart as was intending to mostly launch from trailer at boat ramps, maybe thats a mistake...

Once i get mobile i will try to get a few fishing tips from you and have a sail together........

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i tri wrote:
I will have to check out that launch site off Shields St, i guess you use cart from home to beach, you must have the new trax with fat tyres to get over the sand on the beach? I only ordered the standard cart as was intending to mostly launch from trailer at boat ramps, maybe thats a mistake...

Once i get mobile i will try to get a few fishing tips from you and have a sail together........

Yes I have the fat tyres which seem to handle the 100 metres of hard road/path surface and the 20 metres of sand when I wheel it from home.

Actually, I've seen another bloke launching his AI at Sutton's Beach via the carpark behind the Lifesaving Club so you might want to check that venue out as well.

No worries in catching up for a sail one day (and will also be interested in your thoughts on the Lake Samsonvale Sailing Club).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I am in Las Vegas and today it was 107. My AI was sitting all day on top of my truck rack. I was worried that when I got home it would look like a melted crayon. I was glad to see that there was no damage. I Have the yellow AI and the plastic was not that hot but boy the black metal left a nice burn on my leg. The kayak is now in the living room (wife not happy) until Thursday when I will take it back to the lake.

Don
Las Vegas Nv