Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another "New to Me" H17
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey folks! We recently bought an H17 that I think used to belong to Dan P. here. We're newbies to these kind of Hobies, as I've only owned a Wave and a Getaway several years ago. I used to be very active on those threads.

We're in the Bay area (Livermore) and looking forward to heading out to Santa Cruz once we get the basics down locally and on Woodward reservoir. My girlfriend is new to cats, so we'll be taking it easy for now. She's a speed freak, so she'll probably be flying a hull by the 4th. We're looking for good places to sail (hopefully warm water) and a good crowd to hang out with. We're all about the camping/sailing thing, so let us know what the calendar holds for the summer, and any other lists to join besides CatSailor.

We're taking delivery Monday morning and will probably be heading over to Del Valle during the week (we have familial obligations over the weekend for some reason).

I'm most interested in tacking a cat without a jib, something that I thought was almost impossible. Let us know if the jib kit is a must. Other than that, we've been thinking about putting a Hobie Bob on top, something I seem to remember upsets the purists. We're not looking to race, only to recreate.

Thanks in advance,

Chris & Kim

P.S. Any advice about things to be careful of, considering my background, suggestions, advice, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're planning on sailing a stock 17 with two on board, you should probably consider getting the "boomlet" so you don't have to use the full length boom. It'll be a lot easier to cross from side to side during tacks and gybes that way. It's hard enough for one person to get through with the standard boom.

As far as tacking the boat goes, it just takes a little practice. General technique is you want to be sailing close hauled fully sheeted and at top speed before entering the tack. As you turn into the wind, keep the mainsheet tight and stay on the windward side. As soon as the boat hits head-to-wind, let out about three feet of mainsheet and cross sides. Don't let the rudders straighten or you will stall. Then gradually bring the sheet in. If you do end up stalling, it's no big deal, just reverse the rudders and push the sail all the way out to do a K-turn.

Ather advice..if you find that your boat leaks, check the wing sockets as that's a common area for these boats to crack.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tacking is doable. You just needs practice. Basically what I do is gybe since I don't race. When the wind is blowing stink tacking is the way to go. Just get speed and trun the boat as fast as you can. If she doesn't come around, back wind the sail/back steer the rudders. Then sheet in and steer strait and you should be going. Takes practice. I really prefer gybing, you are always moving. Wait for a lull if blowing over 17. Just mind the boom and help the main over to ease the pressure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

June 21 and 22 is a fleet 20 fun sail at woodward res. we will be on the back of the lake and more than willing to help out in any way. The same weekend 21 st only is a test and tune in santa cruz at jeremy's shop. Hope you can make atleast one. We hope to have 5 boats min at the fun sail and i'm looking at alot of time on the tiger, Also there is a best salsa contest saturday night as well as a pot luck dinner. So bring a dish and come ready to sail and have fun.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Rich ~

Do you guys have a calendar or some sort of plan for when you are going to get together monthly? We'd love to join you (plus, being from Texas, we can make some killer salsa and chili).

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting y'all.

kim

San Francisco Bay Area

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info. We're going to hit Shadow Cliffs or Del Valle tomorrow to practice tacking/gybing. I got sucked in to work at West Marine on the 21st, so am going to miss Sailstice, Test & Tune and Woodward Saturday. We have a friend in town that weekend who used to race cats in FL, so we'll probably either head out to Woodward Sunday, or head down to Santa Cruz, to meet Jeremy and check out the shop.

Chris
~~(\_~~

P.S. We found the Fleet 20 schedule on another thread, so we've put them all on the calendar so as not to schedule over them. It looks like we should be able to make it in July. Maybe we'll bring chili and salsa to play catchup...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We took "The Twins" out for the first time yesterday. We learned how to "tack" her, but we have a few questions/comments that we're looking for input on. Since we're new to the boom thing, we stayed on each side of the boat through each tack. It seems that distributing the weight like that might inhibit a "roll tack". We got up speed, pushed/pulled the tillers hard over, let out the main and let her turn. She almost always needed to be sculled several times to finish the tack. Then we would find the wind again, sheet in and go.

We noticed there was a considerable gap between the boom and the sail, especially forward, so we pulled on the downhaul to fix that. During this process we found out that the main was locked in the full, upright position. We thought it was the red flag the PO had installed for trailering, fouling the masthead sheave. We sailed over to a beach and tipped her over sidways and found the ring had engaged the halyard hook, like it apparently is supposed to. We were wondering how do you disengage it before dropping the mast, and is it a necessity. It appears to take the strain off of what looks to me a rather puny halyard, but it works a little too well for our taste.

Please enlighten our ignorance. We're also looking into the boomlet idea, as there is little room between the boom and the tramp. We had a perfect day for training on Del Valle. The wind was 5-8 with small puffs to add to the excitement. Because of the "canyon effect" and it's such a narrow lake, we probably got in a hundred tacks.

Thanks,

Chris
~~(\_~~

P.S. I can almost post this under the "spare parts" thread, as we busted our mast base yesterday while lowering the mast. I used a pin that was too long. One of the holes broke out, and the whole base assembly pulled partially out of the mast. There are two holes in the mast that evidently receive a bolt. Does that retain the base? So any ideas on where to get a replacement base would be greatly appreciated too. We'll talk to Jeremy in the mean time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On dropping the main. Pull the halyard it will raise the sail off the hook then rotate the mast as far as you can by the rotator. (tward the hook side of the mast) usually starbord. then release the halyard and the sail should come down. For the base of the mast get a new one from jeremy. no sence in buying someone elses problem.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Is it my Blue 86, or my white 88?

It's probably the blue 86 which I believe I sold to a guy up in the Livermore area.

Wednesday evenings, almost without fail, I sail my 17 in Redwood City. This Wednesday will be different from most, because I will de-rig mine in preparation for an upcoming event. So I can take you out on my boat (in the protected/flat port, not the bay) and show you a few tricks, and then give you a run-down on on the rigging.

The bolt hole in your mast base is for the rotation control arm. Dookie, The guy in this forum with the storm-trashed 17 probably has one for cheap; You'll need both the bolt and the arm.

Mast tip float: I actually had one on that boat, there are holes drilled for a fixture I made that allowed me to attach a baby-bob.

Stuck-up sail. Using the halyard, raise and hold the sail to max elevation, rotate mast counter-clock-wise, pull down on sail.

failed tack: uncleat the sheet, and push both the tiller and the sail hard in the direction you want the hulls to point, it will swing right around.

Tacking with two: You've got your work cut out: get really good solo, then, let your crew get really good solo, then try both. Or, get a Sport jib kit. Tip, leave the battens a little loose. Until then, use the failed tack procedure above.

Events: Join the HCA Division 3 google group: there is a calendar posted there with many events for both racing and non-tracing events.

Peace,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As far as raising and lowering the sail goes, it is intended that you are able to do this without flipping the boat on it's side. The sail is properly hoisted when the halyard ring is engaged in the hook at the top of the mast. There are numerous posts and FAQ's on this forum regarding engaging and disengaging the halyard hook. (It is critical that the boat is pointed into the wind when raising or lowering the mainsail).

Tacking the 17 well takes practice and is very dependant on timing. It will be difficult to get the timing and weight placement correct with two people on board, but having the boomlet will help with this.

Regarding the mast base, it was originally designed so that the mast had a captured ball and socket connection. A long clevis pin is intended to go through the two holes at the base of the mast. This keeps the mast connected to the front crossbar. Most sailors only use the clevis pin for stepping and lowering the mast and remove the pin while sailing. The reason being that if you ever break a shroud you actually want the mast to come off the cross bar otherwise you can break the aluminum mast base casting or possibly dent the front crossbar. You actually don't need the pin at all to raise and lower the mast however it is safer with the pin. If you don't use the pin, you need to be sure that you keep forward pressure on the mast otherwise it can pop off the ball. So if one of the holes broke out, you can probably still sail the boat.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the invite Dan! Doesn't look like we can make it Wednesday, due to prior committments. It's the blue one. Based on several comments from people that know more than us, it looks like the H17 might not be the boat for us. We always sail together, and we like taking others along for the day. We may be putting it back up on Craigslist as soon as we repair it and get it titled. Kim really likes the Getaway, so we may be moving over to one of those ASAP. Regardless, I've learned a lot about H17's, and being well rounded in any sailing arena is good.

Chris
~~(\_~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You're welcome - any time!

I think you're on the right track now. The 17 is an excellent boat for one 180 lb person (I could bore you with reasons I like the 17) but for two, I think the H18 is by far your best boating value. For the price of a used Getaway you could buy three really nice, used 18's. And for every 30ea 18's that appear on Craigslist you're lucky if you see one Getaway. AND, if you need aftermarket goodies or repair parts the 18 has the CLEAR advantage.

There is simply no match for the comfort, performance, and value of the 18, not to mention the favorable regard the racing community has for the 18.

Go to the beach at the Yacht Harbor in Santa Cruz, and lay hands on all the different Hobies, you will understand my admiration for the 18. And, as with the Getaway and the 17, wings are available (i.e. the "Magnum" configuration) which add greatly to the thrill and comfort.

Peace,