Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FOAM INSIDE THE HULL
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

KEVIN STATED:Now I am starting repairs on a holed part of my starboard hull. After grinding away all of the bad glass I am looking at a void about 15" long and 2-3" wide with the foam from the pylon about 2/3 of the way bow-side in the hole. Normally for a hole like this I would just glass the hell out of the inside with several layers of 8oz mat then grind a bevel into the foam/glass on the outside and finish up with a few more layers of mat then finish. I am looking into the hull and notice that the foam block at the bottom of the pylon is only bonded to the starboard side of this hull (the more rounded side not the vertical side). Is this normal or should I bond it to the other side while I am in here working? Also do you think it would be beneficial to separate the foam from the side it is bonded to so that I can glass in a continuous piece of mat?

Thanks! Please advise.

~Kevin

I am adding glass, where the glass is old and leafing up of the side. Just to beef up the pylons a little. I may be wrong but it feels right.

Anyone???

Todd

Post subject: Pylons
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

The foam block at the base of the pylon is what we call the "pylon shoe". This is supposed to be bonded to both inboard and outboard surfaces. This is a dense foam / fiber filled structure that we glass in while the hull is open. I think they used to just wet some glass and wrap around the shoe and place it down there. We glass in a bit better these days.

Any additional reinforcement here cannot be bad.

Here is some additional info:

After glassing in the shoes and when glueing the decks on, it goes like this...

The hull is placed in the glue jig, upside down and hanging up high. The deck is placed in the jig upside down and low. The pylons are already glassed as part of the deck structure. In this position the pylon bottoms are sticking up in the air. They "wet-out" some glass cloth and combine with putty material into a folded over object and place on top of each pylon. As the hull is lowered, the pylons insert into the shoes. The folded over glass presses into the shoe and creates the bond. It looks pretty rough because it is a "blind fit". Failures here can be corrected by pouring resin into the shoes to fill voids and bond the post back to the shoe.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt for the info this helps alot. I was considering not installitng the aft inspection hatches, but this sold me. She was made in June of 1973 I hope she is around for the another 32 years. Maby :?: My intention are to sail hard. :twisted: and move up. :P
here is a link to have a better visual asspect.

Toddhttp://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Pictures-Inside-Hobie-14&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This video in particular is inspirational. Jaime - if you tune in here this is really instructional showing great crew work under extreme wave and wind conditions.

The only thing that I would be doing differently on this is my left foot would be on the corner casting and rear foot would be hooked under a suicide strap on the hull and my crew would basically be in my lap. THAT is how you get your weight back. Watch this and you will see what I mean.

It is AWESOME!!!
http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... load&cid=2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd really like to look at the video but your link just goes to a page with lots of videos. Can you tell me the title of it? THX. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WATCH THEM ALL :twisted: :!:

Kidding, I have almost completed that task myself however. FUN! 8)

The one I was referring to is H16 downwind with headcam (and a crash!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh - right that one is great! The pitchpole in Sweeden. :D I'll bet they're glad they're wearing drysuits!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The link I got just has pics of a cut up hobie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Philippine Hobie Challenge Promotional Video is extemly insperational. Long term goal setting may be in order here.

Todd