Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was sailing off Sanibel Island today (6/18/2008) and as I was exiting the surf zone I took a small 2 to 3 foot wave at about a 45 degree angle. All of a sudden my right Amas collapsed. I thought the AKA Brace had popped off the mounting ball, but I was wrong. The ball ripped out of the hull and then fell out of the brace clip and was gone. The question is how/if this can be repaired. It appears as if the mounting hole is stripped because what I assume to be the mounting nut was ripped from the hull.

The surf/wave conditions were not extreme and I was shocked that this occurred. Has anyone else had this occur?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

navgoulas wrote:
All of a sudden my right Amas collapsed. I thought the AKA Brace had popped off the mounting ball, but I was wrong. The ball ripped out of the hull and then fell out of the brace clip and was gone.

I purchased a ball/brace p#79522001 to keep in case the plastic ball somehow broke.

Hard to imagine the screw mount ripping out of the hull. Is the screw still in the hull? If so the screw can be removed and ball replaced.

If the mount is also ripped out - as I believe that is what you are saying - that would be bad. It may be possible to use new bolt and washer combination if you can get to the underside.

I rolled my Island over in the surf last week and the arms stayed intact and open.

I'm anxious to see Matt's reply.

I also thought the shear bolt P#8032081 was designed to "break first" as a safety feature to protect the hull, aka & amas from damage.

Can you provide any pics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The shear bolt will break if you pull back really hard on an ama, but it provides no protection if you push forward really hard on an ama. If an ama gets pushed hard enough, the next weakest thing will break, and that's the ball.

If it tore the whole thing out of the hull, that area of the hull will need to be rebuilt before a replacement can be mounted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Ray wrote:
The shear bolt will break if you pull back really hard on an ama, but it provides no protection if you push forward really hard on an ama. If an ama gets pushed hard enough, the next weakest thing will break, and that's the ball.

If it tore the whole thing out of the hull, that area of the hull will need to be rebuilt before a replacement can be mounted.

Makes sense. One is more likely to stike an object with the ama while undersail - which would be the same as pulling the ama back hard.

I always carry a complete aka brace assembly (79523101) and a spare ball brace.
Failing that, I also carry a pair of ropes to fashion an "X" shape for holding the ama extended. 1 rope from outer front to inner back, and another from inner front to outer back. Several of the Hawaiian Islanders have suggested and used the rope trick.

Rebuilding the hull...hmmm.... sounds like a job for the 3M Scotchweld epoxy DP8010.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakaholic.....your knowledge on such matters never ceases to astonish.

As of now, I will carry ropes just for such an emergency as getting spare parts here may take a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Aloha from Jackson Hole!

I'm just back from a 7 day trip on Yellowstone Lake.

First day out, we were overtaken by 3 to 4 foot ways from behind. While quartering the waves like a good doggie, my "uphill" "nonsupporting" aka collapsed because the brace had been knocked off the ball joint by a following wave. I immediately noticed this and easily reattached it.

It would have been hell to be out there without 2 functioning amas. Seas were high and the water was just above freezing. Outside rescue would have been a body recovery. This failure was something which shouldn't have happened. I was nowhere near capsizing.

Neither of our 2 AI's had this problem the rest of the trip and were nothing but elegant.

Matt, we're eagerly awaiting your expertise on this problem.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakaholic, good idea to carry ropes for jury rigging an ama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy!

The idea of jury rigging aka support with parachute line is brilliant, innovative and practical. I have no doubt you can limp into port with this setup.

However, when crap hits the fan and aka brace failure occurs in high seas and difficult conditions, it would be nigh impossible to rig up. The crap in you pants will be enuff to turtle. Each wave might be your last.

An errant backward and upward wave push on the aka brace disconnects the brace ball joint prematurely, long before load failure. Our AI's are so brilliantly thought out, I have no doubt Hobie engineering will eventually correct the problem. Until then, keep a close watch on the aka brace and know how to reconnect it in difficult conditions.

Happy Trailz,

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
I thought the AKA Brace had popped off the mounting ball, but I was wrong. The ball ripped out of the hull and then fell out of the brace clip and was gone.

I just read the instruction "locking ball installation" delivered with my AI-08.

"2. Place a couple small drops of loctite on the screws and install the locking balls to the inserts....."

maybe loctite was to good :shock: and if not glued the damage had been only the (79523101) spare ball brace.

(btw i wonder what type of loctite the instruction refer to?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

janlaw wrote:
I just read the instruction "locking ball installation" delivered with my AI-08.

"2. Place a couple small drops of loctite on the screws and install the locking balls to the inserts....."

maybe loctite was to good :shock: and if not glued the damage had been only the (79523101) spare ball brace.

(btw i wonder what type of loctite the instruction refer to?)

On both my '07 Islands there is no instruction for locking ball installation. All mine were pre-installed at the factory. Not sure if self-installation might introduce the chance for damage or improper installation.

Last edited by Yakaholic on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JacksonHoleWyoming wrote:
Howdy!

The idea of jury rigging aka support with parachute line is brilliant, innovative and practical. I have no doubt you can limp into port with this setup.

However, when crap hits the fan and aka brace failure occurs in high seas and difficult conditions, it would be nigh impossible to rig up. The crap in you pants will be enuff to turtle. Each wave might be your last
Happy Trailz,

Chris

You can always rig up the crossed lines on shore before going out in really rough weather. Use Stainless Steel clips to make it easy to install and un-install the lines. If you turtle you still need to fold in one ama to right the boat, clips make that easier than untying knots.

Use lines as insurance against failure or as solution after a failure.

I have never experienced aka failure even after getting rolled over and dumped in the surf, but I usually avoid rough weather sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been out in as rough a conditions as I care to and have never had an ama fail except when it tapped a concrete bridge support on the back outside edge of the ama.

Then it busted the spring loaded cap, I was 20 mile from my side of the Bay and my put in point with current, wind and waves all working to sweep me out to sea, next stop Europe.

It was only my 2'nd or 3'rd time out and had no tools or spare parts but I had just watched Survival Man Lost at Sea episode and he said if you got a boot lace you got just about everything you need to survive so I packed a couple into the seat fanny pack.

It let go a couple times but only when it was on the windward side bouncing in the air. I haven't flipped or lost my Island in surf though I did ride it into shore backwards standing up behind the seat while being pushed by 4' surf. That went pretty well didn't get hurt or break anything.
gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ingenious Gwiz and I like that periscope you have with you. Of course, had you wandered across the Atlantic you could always have stayed with me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
I like that periscope

That is how I know it was only my 2'nd or 3'rd time out. I lost 1/2 my Hobie paddle my 1'st time out then added a pvc pipe fitting to my remaining 1/2 only to have the sail rope wrap around it flipping it into the drink my 4'th time out. :roll: Now I carry the little collapsible Hobie paddle in the hull.
gwiz
ps thanks for the invite Upyaboya, you never know should I decide to sail to Bermuda I might wind up on your side of the puddle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well Gwiz, you're more than welcome!

Seems like invention is the mother and all that good stuff......because we just don't tend to plan on things breaking anymore. Maybe we're spoiled but the cautious approach to potential difficulties is really smart. It's a lesson I've really taken on board.

Bermuda is but a rock and I live on a better rock so a plotting error could work out great!.