Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The new 2008 tandem outfitter Kayak is great ! I just purchased a new sail for it . I haven't sail yet ,but if it works as well as the kayak ,I know it will be just fine . What is your opinion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Take a look at this post for some of my comments sailing the Outfitter:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=9675

I initially used the sail kit only when I wanted to sail. Now I take it along on almost every trip to extend range and provide a third propulsion option. Speed is less than I hoped for in strong winds, even solo, but still a good cruise clip. I have many GPS tracks under sail in the 3.5 to 4.0 MPH range. You will need the larger sailing rudder else there are points of sail under stronger winds where you will not be able to steer. The Outfitter is incredibly stable and I have never felt I needed outrigged amas. Maybe that is just because I weigh 200 pounds, but shifting my butt to windward in the seat and leaning a bit, it is quite easy to sail in strong winds. My only capsizes have been wave induced while surfing without the sail - learned the hard way that you can't steer once the rudder is out of the water as a breaker overtakes you and you are not holding a paddle.

There was one trip entering the sound at Indian Pass in Florida (near Appalachicola) where the outbound tide was about 2.5 MPH and I was tiring quickly having been out pedaling all day. Had my 8 year old up front for ballast as he can't reach the pedals yet. I put the sail up and pedal-sailed in easily at about 1.5 MPH over ground on a downwind run (4.0 MPH through the water). Much better!

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the excellent overveiw of this subject concerning the sail kit . I couldn't ask for a better reply . You gave us a very clear picture on what to expect when adding a new sail. Thank You very much for time.
Best Regards,

plfinch wrote:
Take a look at this post for some of my comments sailing the Outfitter:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=9675

I initially used the sail kit only when I wanted to sail. Now I take it along on almost every trip to extend range and provide a third propulsion option. Speed is less than I hoped for in strong winds, even solo, but still a good cruise clip. I have many GPS tracks under sail in the 3.5 to 4.0 MPH range. You will need the larger sailing rudder else there are points of sail under stronger winds where you will not be able to steer. The Outfitter is incredibly stable and I have never felt I needed outrigged amas. Maybe that is just because I weigh 200 pounds, but shifting my butt to windward in the seat and leaning a bit, it is quite easy to sail in strong winds. My only capsizes have been wave induced while surfing without the sail - learned the hard way that you can't steer once the rudder is out of the water as a breaker overtakes you and you are not holding a paddle.

There was one trip entering the sound at Indian Pass in Florida (near Appalachicola) where the outbound tide was about 2.5 MPH and I was tiring quickly having been out pedaling all day. Had my 8 year old up front for ballast as he can't reach the pedals yet. I put the sail up and pedal-sailed in easily at about 1.5 MPH over ground on a downwind run (4.0 MPH through the water). Much better!

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:09 am 
Site Admin

plfinch wrote:
Had my 8 year old up front for ballast as he can't reach the pedals yet.

This caught my eye...

Not that an 8 year old can actually help against that tide, but they would love to help.

My boy has been pedaling Mirage kayaks since I can't remember. He is now 10.

Have you set the front seat in the forward two peg holes? Pull the straps tight to move him even further forward and set the pedals in the full aft position? I have also placed a cushion behind his back at some point to help prop him forward.

He now is fully comfortable sailing and pedaling the Adventure Island. There can not be a better platform for independant sailing for kids than the AI. Always amazes me!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The older boy, now 10, has been pedaling since we got the Outfitters 3 years ago. He is strong as an ox and makes a very good Mirage companion and has for those three years. He solos the Outfitter but has not wanted to sail solo yet. But the 8 year old is very short and most of that shortness seems to be in his legs and not his torso. He weighs about half of the 10 year old. Yeah, we used the front pegs for the seat and pulled it all the way forward with the straps and had the drives set on shortest. He is real close now - I think we'll have it by the end of the summer. I have been making him paddle in shallow water so I can just relax and steer while he gets some exercise.

I hope to add the AI to the fleet next summer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are there any boots you can buy that are suitable for sailing and walking? I'm looking for a pair of boots that I can wear for sailing and walking. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ha ha it's nice that you've got your boy helping. My boy helps me too, hes only 6 but he loves to get stuck in.

Last edited by JasonHenninger on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lolx...:D Thanks for taking time to help