Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know of a good place to get into Lake Michigan around the South Haven area?

Last summer I bought a Getaway, took it to East Grand Traverse Bay, and no inland lakes (except Gull Lake) in Southwest Michigan compare to Lake Michigan.

Let me know, I am counting the days until June!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JUNE? Try the first of May. Can't help you out, the beaches are pretty locked up (private or bluffs) unless you can use a ramp and motor out the river mouths. A bunch of Hobies in Muskegon on the beach south of the breakwall and on Muskegon Lake. Available through the city of Muskegon.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject: Southwest Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

June? May? Looks like it does not matter what month if I can't get out unless I go to Muskegon.

I remember back in the day, I could take my windsurfer (and there were hobies there too) to several spots to lauch from. Too bad about the beach condo nazis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You can launch off the beach in Bridgemen.
Pentwater has a nice lake to launch in and then sail up to the channel. Paddle out or get a tow to lake michigan. Good stuff lots of folks do it. There is a state park at the mouth where you can pull your boat up on the beach. You can do this same thing on Portage lake or at Frankfort.
Michigan city, launch in Washington park. Paddle around the corner to the beach in front of the power plant. Then rig up sails and sail off the beach. Great stuff. The break walls stop the crazy breakers from getting you.
I always take a hand held VHS and GPS. Lake Michigan is a mean women to mess with!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bridgeman is southEAST lake michigan...lol We sail out of Lake St. in Gary (gasp) IN. When the city keeps the ramp dug out, its a perfect cat boat launch....there is beach sand right beside the ramp....you can slide your boat off the trailer, and walk it to the sand about 20 ft away...no harbor to mess with. The ramp launches right on the beach. They charge $10 to launch for out of county residents. Take I-94 west to Ripley St., then go north to Rte 20, west to South Lake St., then north on Lake St. as far as it goes. Lake St ends at the boat launch. I've been sailing here for the last 7 summers, its a blast when the wind is out of the south...flat water and screaming fast. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice, We will have to meet up and sail out of Gary. I sail with my brother he lives in Valpo. I just picked up a new Starboard hull for my H21SE. I had to drive up to Toronto CA to pick it up. Good stuff through. I have some work to do before I am sea worthy again. Good day of sailing gone bad :(

Do you do any long distance sailing? I was thinking of mounting a Blast up the lake Hobie style Thang. What do you think? Start in say Gary or Michigna city then stream up to say Traverse City. Probably a two day run. If my rig is done by September I blasting up there!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Two Days, :lol: good luck. I did Muskegon to Silver Lake in a day on my H-18. Just got back from a trip on a F-28 trimaran. Muskegon to Ludington, to Frankfort, to Charlevoix, to the Island. All long days. A lot depends on the weather. Remember even in August the water is very cold. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What do you think of the F28? I have always wanted to try one. They seem like a great way to buzz the lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been lucky to crew on a F-27, F-28 sport cruiser, F-24 Mark II. All have been fast boats but the F-27 was tricked out. We did the Clipper cup one year from Muskegon to Port Washington in 8 hours 5 min on that one.

Great boats, and they can take heavy weather if your not crazy. Great for cruising up the shoreline. Three people is about max on them for sailing and sleeping, with gear. If I had some extra $$ I might own one.