Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I took all the hardware off, and I did not take a picture and did not write it down. Shame on ME! :oops:

Question is, where does the shrouds, forestay and trap wires connect to? Which wire goes to which hole on the mast tang?

Also, I noticed that the shrouds that came with the boat 1984 are somewhat longer than the last brand new shrouds I purchased. I am not sure if the shrouds on the boat, are from 1984. I read somewhere that NEWER shrouds are two inches shorter to allow for more mast rake, is this true?

I apreciate your assistance.

Post subject: Which hole?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Which hole?

The current tangs have three holes. The bottom hole and top hole are similar in size and the middle hole is larger.

Shrouds and forestay wires go to the large (5/16" pin) shackle hanging from the bottom hole.

Trapeze wires hang from a 1/4" pin shackle (bow shackle). The pin of that shackle passes through the top hole. The bow of the shackle passes through the middle hole. The wires then hang on either side of the tang hanging from the bow and seperated by the tang.

Older shrouds are longer. We have shortened the length a couple of times. First in 1982 and again recently. Make adjustments in the side stay adjusters to get the rake you want. The position in the side adjuster and the wire length limit how far forward the mast can be pulled by the jib halyard system on the 16.

The reason we shortened the shrouds is that sailors were placing the shroud wires in the bottom hole of the adjusters and still not getting the mast back far enough, so they started wanting to remove the twist toggle below the adjuster. That was a rule and structural issue. The shorter wire allwed the desired rake. The 16 has been proven to race better with the mast well aft. Lower profile mainsheet blocks and traveler track have allowed the mast to go further aft that earlier configurations.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)