Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

seafarer7777 wrote:
rferre2000,

Is that a picture of Bear Lake? What a beautiful body of water! Good point on adding the carpet to the carriers to avoid staining the kayak - happened to me and it's tough to remove. Also, I agree that the Thule crossbars are weaker than the Yakima and I'll be switching over. I have a big bow in my Thule crossbars from the last time I carried a kayak on them.

Seafarer

Hello Seafarer - Yes, that is Bear Lake (split between Northern Utah, Southern Idaho). We live in Northern California and have a cabin there. It is a beautiful lake and a lot of fun for kayaking and sailing (though it is mountain air, with flukey winds).

Regarding the trailer, I bought a piece of 2" plastic pipe at Home Depot and cut pieces to fit beneath the center of the crossbar for added support. It works quite well, but does divide the cargo area up somewhat.

Last edited by rferre2000 on Fri May 22, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Randy,
I use to fly into Salt Lake quite abit and would drive up to Bear Lake and southern Idaho - really beautiful country! I was wondering if you would be so kind to post a pic of the center support post. I might have to rig something similar and a pic would be helpful.

Thanks,

Seafarer

P.S. if you get here on the east coast give me a shout! We do kayak fishing/paddle trips down in the Outer Banks of NC. In fact, we're planning a "mothership" run with the kayaks to the Gulf Stream next month if the weather cooperates. Hoping to get into some amberjack or tuna.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Seafarer - Thanks for the invitation to join you. I may take you up on it at some point in the future. Unfortunately, I am struggling to find time to visit our cabin, so it might be awhile. Your trip to the Gulf Stream sounds very interesting. Though I have chartered a big cat in the Abacos, I have only flown over the Gulf Stream. What little I know about it, it sounds very challenging for a kayak.

As you requested, I am attaching a photo of the Thule crossbar reinforcement. It is a 2" plastic drain pipe I got at Home Depot. I chose it over the white PVC because of color and the fact that it seems more rigid than PVC. I cut it long enough as to ensure constant pressure to hold the pipe in place, using a quicktie on the top in case of a trailer bounce. Because I have a carpet floor on the trailer, I didn't need to secure it to the floor. I hope this helps.

PS I also noted the cargo net. It works great for keeping life jackets, etc. from bouncing or blowing out of the trailer.

Post subject: Trailer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the great tips. We decided it was best (especially if we get another one for the kids) for us to get a trailer. We got a Malone. We added a mid-size truck tool box (locking) for storage. This is the perfect size for everything from vests, poles, tackle box, seats, paddles and has little side shelves that perfectly hold the water shoes. We have the Malone car top racks, which are set just inside the support bars. We can move them out to carry 1 or 2 more kayaks, which will rest on the box. Then went to home depot and bought 12 feet of 3/8" plastic coated wire and made loops on the ends, added long shank pad lock and now have a great locking system for securing kayaks to trailer. If I can figure out how to add a photo I will put one on here.[/img]