Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

well my buddy Chris and I decided to head out 2am Friday night and head up the 9 miles North to Great Kills Harbor in Staten Island, NY

22 Mile's round trip

Here is some video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81sNCothHXo

It is 9 mile trip each way if you were to go straight but we explored and fished as we moved. The fishing was slow but we heard of the monster stripers being caught in the harbor on live bunker.

We thought we would kayak across because of all the traffic over the Memorial Day Weekend

Anyway fishing was slow and the wind really picked up, 20-30's no problem for the AI, but my buddy was already tired from being up all night so we tucked him under one of the aka's and sailed him home

here is some video of the lost rod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br1Wf0yT-pc

Its important to note that the video above also shows you how fast you can loose a rod or equipment off your boat. I was really moving, tunning the boat and trying to push the speed. I did not have my paddle strapped down next to me and at the end of the video as the I move the camera around I am looking for my rod that knocked out of the rod extender by the paddle that was leashed - WOW that easy - LEASH YOUR GEAR!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As usual Yakman, tremendous advice based on your experiences. I'm very grateful and am sure learning a lot.

Given that I'll become the prouds owner on a new A1 tomorrow, the weekend should be interesting as I'll probably make every mistake in the book!

But I will use a leash and will launch as advised elsewhere.

You guys are really great for novices like me.

Thank you all once again.

Post subject: Ireland
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have to thank you for your email you wrote me....

It is really exciting for me to know that I effected you in such a way that you purchased a AI to sail/fish in Ireland, the first AI in Ireland

I think you should post the email that you wrote to me, not because its about me but because I don't think we all know who reads the forum and how many people out there we all have effected over the years to kayak fishing and create there own AI Sailing Adventures

How many post has everybody here posted, we all don't know sometimes the power of the forum and who we inspired or motivated everyday to kayak fish and create there own great stories :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Al and I will say the same things here so all the guys can see just what a great little community we have here that does inspire people like me to join you all in spirit having fun. I am constantly amazed by the warmth and helpfulness of the posts and it's only a shame that we are separated by distance so we can't all get out on the water together, share stories and have a laugh.

From bungee cords, to GPS and ram mounts, to making sure the 08 model is the one to buy, to sailing tips from a myriad of oceans, to technical assistance....to raw encouragment, you folks are just great. Not only have you generously helped me start, but you all continue to push me to enjoy by learning from your experiences.

I have my A1 a mere week and although the weather is mercurial at present, I do manage to sneak out and have a blast in between the showers and storms. Nothing gives me greater pleasure and I'm learning fast. Your tales of adventure, fishing exploits, sailing hard and plain having fun is wonderful to share for it convinces mere learners to give it a go.

In this disposable age where nothing seems to last past the hour, it's refreshing to have been inspired and encouraged, taught and shown, by real people who are now friends......we are brothers who share some fun and help one another. Time to say what's left unsaid....thank you all very much for helping me to have so much fun. In time, I look forward to sharing some learning when I've learnt it but it's all about participation and that's what has me here enjoying myself just trying.

Don't worry guys, I'm working on getting myself sorted to start fishing.....and maybe the sun will return.

I have some video and some pictures but need to figure out how to show you all.

Again, thank you all very much!

Brian