Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

I recently bought a Hobie Tiger 2008 model unassembled and when it came to the jib set up I missed some detailed information how to do in the assembly instruction, especially with a full batterned jib w/o furler.

First the halyard together with the jib cunningham, I guess was way to short and the jib halyard is only a thin line. I am expecting a much stronger line. Second no instruction in the manuel if the jib halyard and/or cunningham need to be inculded when zipping the jib to the forestay. Therefor I still don't know if I have to zip the jib to the forestay or not . If I would do so, when tighten the jib halyard through the jib cunningham the forestay becomes loose and due to it is captured in the jib pocket it can not escape.

If somebody please can send me some pictures of his or her jib set up without a furler or a better explanitation how to set up I really would appreciate it.

Before the HC Tiger I was sailing a HC 16 and I am very familiar with that kind of jib set up which is totally different.

Thank you for your responds in advance.

best regards

W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The zipper pocket on the jib covers the Forestay and the jib halyard.

After the jib is up you run a cunningham line through the block on the wire part of the halyard.

After you secure that you can untie the line part of the halyard and keep that with you, on the boat, in case you need it.

Then finish zipping the jib pocket.

There may be a jam cleat on the sail where the cunningham can be adjusted to.

Later,
Dan

Post subject: thank's
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dan,

thank you very much. The drawing was really very helpful indeed.

The interesting thing is that I don't have a "wire part of jib halyard" I just have a line with a small roll at on end as a jib halyard and this line is way to short. Anyway the forestay consits of a wired pigtail on the top with a small roll on its end and through that roll the jib halyard line runs through.

Do I miss a line, wire or part?

To tighten the jib after it's up, works only through the cunningham. Is that right?

best regards

W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like you are missing the jib halyard wire. You shackle one end to the to the top of the jib. That runs right next to the forstay and goes through a block on that pigtail at the top. Then there is a block on it that wire that the line of the halyard ties to until the jib is up. Once up the Cunningham takes over and you untie the line of the halyard that you pulled the jib up with. You cleat the cunningham to the jam cleat on the jib. That block the cunningham goes to will be zipped inside the pocket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan,

There is no longer a wire - its just a white spectra line now. (that's the current full batten set-up from Hobie Europe)

PS where's my ST sail? ...unless you want to keep it for a good price! (hint hint)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am planning on a San Diego trip sometime the middle of next week. I will bring it to you then. No, I do not need another sail. Thanks for a good priced offer though. It is in good shape if anyone is looking for a Tiger sail.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

how much?

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

it looks like that the recent post from 'jbernier' explains exactly what I see on my Tiger.

But whenever I try to tighten the cunningham the wired forestay get loose and due to it is captured in the jib pocket it cannot escape and therefore I am limited with tighting the Jib.

It looks not really good. Do I something wrong or is it normal that the Jib is not as tight as on a HC 16.

best regards

W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You should apply rig tension before tightening the jib cunningham, i.e. tighten the shrouds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rig tension is created by tightening the stays and/or forestay dependent on mast rake. NOT the JIB Halyard as on a H16.

The jib halyard is only used to hoist the jib and tension the Luff when sailing.

If you have a slack rig and tension the Jib Halyard allowing the forestay to go loose, when you pull on the mainsheet this creates a backstay effect pulling the rig backwards till the forestay is tight.

This would put a huge load on the headsail cloth itself and I have seen the eyelets pull straight out when this mistake has been made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thank's everybody for the support so far

I guess my thinking was more HC 16 where the whole rigg tension is created by the jib halyard after the jib is up.

To tighten the rigg I found a couple of posts and a lot of information how much and so on. It seams to be additional I need a Loos Wire Tension Gauge to find the right set up

Can anybody give me some advice which model is best.

best regards

W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loos Gauge: I have both the newer black model and the older aluminum one. The scale numbers on the black one do not go high enough to show what 700lbs on the diamonds are. The silver one shows that somewhere around 47 is about right. I think the equivalent on the black one is about 40 but do not quote me on it as I have not made a recent comparison.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dan....

Werner Prosser with the 2008 Tiger came by my house last evening. He lives very close (a few miles away) to me. Anyway, I set him straight on boat set up using mine as an example. Snuffer, forestay, jib set-up, rig tension (how to), mast pre-bend and spin rigging were discussed in detail. Some very minor differences between my 2005 and his 2008...but nothing that couldn't be figured out. Several light bulbs went off for Werner :wink: The next step is to get him out on the water. I suggested he hook up with Matt Bounds and crew for the Wednesday evening races at Cresent Yacht Club on Lake St. Clair before actually sailing his. He is going to join our fleet (www.fleet276.org) here in Detroit. Nice to have another Tiger in the area.

Jacques....

Just an observation...the 2008 Tiger Assembly Manual needs some work. It's not as detailed as it should be. Plus there are some extra parts/lines that are not referenced in the manual. Maybe an update is in order. Headed to Cali tomorrow for a two week surf trip. Might get down Oceanside way...if I do, I'll stop by the factory and say Hi.

Maybe I should become a dealer? :wink:

Later,
The Other JB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

John

thank you very much introducing me to the Hobie community here in Michigan. I really looking forward to get out on the water soon.

But there is still one remaining question which I forgot to ask. Where do you atttach the riding line, just around the front beam or do you have a special set up which makes it easier to get up the boat after you keel over.

best regards

W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tigerboy1 wrote:
Dan....

I suggested he hook up with Matt Bounds and crew for the Wednesday evening races at Cresent Yacht Club on Lake St. Clair before actually sailing his. He is going to join our fleet (www.fleet276.org) here in Detroit. Nice to have another Tiger in the area.

Are they racing Tigers out of CSYC?