Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:32 am 
Hobie Team Member

Went down to Stonington CT last weekend for their annual kayak tournament put on by ultimate kayak fishing and yakdawgs. It's a beautiful place to fish and always have a good time. Usually it has been windy so I was looking forward to trying out the Revo in those conditions rather than with a paddle in my hand. Better yet, there wasn't any wind and the fish cooperated. There were a few of us from Northern New England down there and we seemed to find some nice fish. Winner was 40", 2nd was 39", 3rd 38", then there were a few of us at 35"-36". I'll definitely be making this trip as long as they keep putting on the Rodeo.

Side Bar: During our off season up here I became a member of the Hobie Fishing Team and two of my fishing partners from MA became members of the OK Pro Staff. We had fun fishing together again but there was the added fun of friendly competition and trying to place ourselves in the other's fish pictures.

Side Bar #2: Last year at the Jamaica Bay Tournament I was introduced to a guy named Tim Salmon. As we talked we realized that we had gone to High School together in Covina, CA. He now lives in CT, I live in NH, and here were were meeting again in New York City. It goes a bit further, with many corresponding coincidences like same cameras, similar hobbies....but not the same wife :wink: . I saw him again at Stonington and it turns out that during the offseason, he too became a member of the Hobie Fishing Team. Sooooo, now he and I are the Hobie Team for New England until Marty Mood returns from Iraq. Looking forward to fishing with Marty again.

TIM ON THE LEFT AND MYSELF
Image[/img]

JOHN K FROM PENNSYLVANIA

JOHN K's SON DAVE (fishingconvention) WITH A PB. THIS KID WAS LAUGHING HIS A$$ OFF EVERY TIME HE HOOKED UP AND WENT FOR A RIDE. MADE THE DAY FOR ALL OF US JUST WATCHING AND LISTENG TO HIM.

LEFTY WORKING THE FLY DIVISION FROM HIS ADVENTURE

MARK N FROM MA

GUYTON FROM MA

A FEW OF MY FISH

GUYTON SAILING OFF INTO THE SUN

Roger (NH Explorer)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice report, thank you for posting it

Hobie Outback and wife has a Hobie Sport

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When you were in so-cal what were some of places you guys frequented you know tackle shops favorite waters and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:36 am 
Hobie Team Member

On the coast..... I fished anywhere from Oxnard down to Cabo. Really liked the overnighters out of San Pedro to Catalina. Often the San Clemente or Oceanside boats when I was a kid but now they go out of Harbors instead of the piers. Many many trips out of San Diego including about a year working the Long Range boats for Lee Palm.

Inland..... Fished Puddingstone a lot as a kid. That was closest for my Dad to take me and drop me off for the day. Later I fished many of the Regional Parks from Irvine to Hemet to Victorville's Spring Valley lake including Big Bear and Arrowhead. Many of the smaller B&Ts were closing by the time I headed back here and don't really remember names. I always liked getting Down to Lake Hodges and Otay for bass.

Really enjoyed a few backpack trips into the Sierras near Tom's place above Bishop for some nice cold water trout fishing.