Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacement sail batten
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Seemed to have lost the lower sail batten this evening and now must scramble to get a spare. Mind you, I was zipping along at 9.5 mph according to the GPS and didn't see it disappear. After a while, I was wondering why the sail seemed out of shape and then noticed it gone. Anybody any suggestions on a temporary 'fix' since I expect it to take a while to get a replacement.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an extra one that I bought to try and make a horizontal batten to improve downwind performance before hitting on the bungee cord method.

They mailed it to me all wound up in a little box. It only took a couple days to get and was pretty cheap but it didn't come with the top clip. You might want to check your knot on your remaining one. I tied mine wrong and about lost one myself.
gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks gwiz....I thought I might make a bags of the knot for the cleat so I had an 'expert' sailor tie it for me!. So much for using an expert. I've checked the other one (that is the tightness of the oline on the black cleat) and tightened the tension on the line further with a pliers.

I really need to order some replacement battens and the black cleats they tie onto because I'm a long way from Hobie and I'm sure replacements take time.

I'm hoping that in the meanwhile someone might have a temporary fix. I might go to a hardware store tomorrow and see if I can 'improvise'. The weather's been terrible and having waited for a break I'm pretty frustrated that within an hour of getting on the water, I had to retire.

And I was just about to try my bungee for the downwind leg as you recommended!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It sails ok without it except in real light wind. I've found it needs to be tied better than the directions, knotting at every contact point back and forth. We've lost 2 from 5 AI's and over 1/2 the AI's we've met were missing one (always the rear one), many owners never even noticing. We haven't lost any since tying them better.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I lost one last year and sailed it with no problems for a few weeks until I got a replacement.

You might try using one of those fiberglas rods that go on bicycles with the little flags on top so they can be seen in traffic. Just cut it to the right size, slide it in, tie it down and your on your way.

Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great idea drgatsea but do you think I can find any?

Resorted to a bamboo cane today for I was mad keen to get out in gusty conditions and try my bravery out. As I launched I asked myself if it was a good idea or not but then I wasn't going too far and would stay close to shore. Force 4 or 5 and gusting offshore with a slight swell.

As I unfurled the sail, she took off like a stallion and I hung on for dear life trying to avoid all the lobster pots. Luckily, I escaped the pots and headed upwind towards the harbour. Boy did she move and while the sail still leached somewhat, my bamboo cane did the job and gave some stability to the sail.

I was worried about the gusts and when the first one came, the acceration was incredible. If I remember right, I think I let out a howl of excitement. The performance was amazing and while soaking wet from the bow, the stability was fine and the puffs just made matters better.

Fearful that I might never get home, I did a 180 and surfed back towards the beach. I noticed that using the rudder at the top of the wave makes a lot of difference and stops the AI broaching. Again, the performance of the rudder surprised me in the conditions.

Now feeling I could cope, I ventured further out into bigger waves and marvelled at this little beauty and how accomplished it is at doing its job. I felt safe and in control. Ask me a week ago and I would not have ventured out in such conditions. It did wonders for my confidence in the A1 and it's capability.

I hasten to add that I was never more than 4 miles offshore at any point and I had the sail reefed. It was the best fun I've had in ages.

The best bit of all was returning to see a seakayaker paddling like billyoh and going nowhere against the current/waves. And to think.....that used to be me!

So those of you who may have worries about the capability of the AI in lumpy seas and gusty winds need worry not. With a reefed sail, a watchful eye for the puffs and a steady hand on the sheet, the AI performed flawlessly.