Finally a sailing report!
First I did one more noodle test on the mast. (I have a stock spare to compare them). I put the two-part masts together, laid them horizontal on a deck, supporting the bottom tube and hung a 3 lb weight on the tip of the top tube. The stock mast bent 4 inches and the garden post stiffened mast bent 3 5/8 inches. Again, it shouldn't hurt, but I don't know if this stiffening is going to show dramatic improvements.
I put all the sails in place and here's what it looks like:
I use the rock in front for weight when I sail solo.
The figure 9s worked great for the shrouds. When I started sailing, I found they also were in a great location for attaching the jib, which made line management much easier. I just needed to wrap the jib line around once and it held...very quick. I used a slightly thinner line for the shrouds than for the jib, so this allowed me to use them for both purposes. I could make the jib line even thicker, as this figure 9 supports thicknesses up to 3/8 inch. The figure 9s are rated for 50 lbs, which I think would be enough...it's hard to imagine these bending. Time will tell!
I had two lines for the jib, one for port and another for starboard, so that I didn't have to try to reach around the mast when switching sides.
The gray line is the shroud line and the white is from the jib.
Using a Skymate wind meter and Garmin foretrex 101 for GPS, I took about an hour run. Overall I was pleasantly surprised!
To note, I also had the boombat in the main.
The winds were a constant 5-6 mph (some gusts to
. Close hauled using the jib, I was sailing around 3 mph. When I released the jib, I dropped to around 2 mph. I repeated this several times with the same results.
Sailing with the wind, there was slight improvement, increasing from 2 mph, to 2.2-2.3 (wind was 3-4 mph).
Here are some pictures:
I think the jib could be a little wider to overlap the main a little. The experts out there may be able to take some of these pictures and fine tune it...but I think the bottom line is that this mast can support a jib in 5-8 mph winds and it will improve your speed!
When I got back in, I noticed that the strap had peeled away a little from the sail. I used goop and sewed it a little, but I think I need to sew is with many more stitches to reinforce it, as my thread broke. (It's hard sewing through goop!) I donâ€™t think I attached it in an ideal way either, as all the stress is on the top edge of the strap. I maybe should have glued the strop to the front with the loop facing down, so that the pressure was distributed more across the entire strap (I think thatâ€™s how the i14 strap is set up).
The shrouds and the jib are attached to this strap, so it's a high stress area.
With the shrouds attached lower on the mast, the mast behaved much better. I am hoping to get some 10-15 mph wind in the next couple of days.