Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have much to add here. You all are sailing these more than I am at this point. I have been on vacation and am leaving again next week... plus it is crazy buzy here. No time for forums lately.

We have seen very few failures of the ball mount, but certainly a hard enough hit or repeated hits could damage the connection. I have collided with another boat and popped the connector off the ball and sheared a bolt on another occasion. All intended releases to help prevent major damage, so making a tighter connection could cause excessive damage to parts in similar instances.

Sea and wind conditions vary so greatly along with the possibility that the connection was weakened in some other way... possibly on hard beach landings, hull impact with the bottom while going over waves or something like that. There is just not a complete answer on this one other than... in general... the system works as designed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While talk about aka failure does raise my level of apprehension just a bit - so far no such failures on our 2 early '07 Islands. :)

Concerning navgoulas's original issue of having the ball brace rip from the hull - I have come up with one other possible explanation as to a cause.

The Island hull, for most of us, is both transported and stored in the way that distorts the hull least and provides the best support and stability - namely upside down & on the gunnels.

The ball brace, however, sticks out like a sore thumb above the gunnels. Easy to see how, when sliding along while loading or unloading, or having the boat's weight shift while on a roof rack, you could have a great deal of force contact the ball brace. You could assemble the boat and not realize the damage. The first serious wave would then complete the failure and pull out the ball brace.

Just a theory, but still a good idea for all of us to take care if dropping or sliding the boat on its gunnnels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thankx Yakaholic, and Thankx Hobie, for this forum!

I'd been thinking about running "X" of lines as a backup before emergency, but wanted to try it out before posting. I love your idea of stainless steel clips making it easier to rig and unrig the setup. Very elegant... The very real problem of the aka brace detaching is rare enough, yet real enough, that even a bit of "slop" in the lines would probably get you home (& not damage the amas and akas).

An intense multihull sailer told me of people lost at sea who saved $ by not replacing trampolines past their prime. I suggested a lattice of UV resistant rope underneath the tramp which couldn't be walked on, but yet would net a body attempting to fall thru. He didn't like the idea; I suspect it would clutter the crafts' sleek look...

We forum members are beta testing these AI's, and part of the reason I bought into Hobie is their reputation for integrity and continued product development. The rudder, mast mounting and paddle attachment have seen improvements from '07 to '08.

Ultimately, the aka brace problems also demand different engineering.

Happy Trails!

Chris

Yakaholic wrote:
Quote:
You can always rig up the crossed lines on shore before going out in really rough weather. Use Stainless Steel clips to make it easy to install and un-install the lines. If you turtle you still need to fold in one ama to right the boat, clips make that easier than untying knots.

Use lines as insurance against failure or as solution after a failure.

I have never experienced aka failure even after getting rolled over and dumped in the surf, but I usually avoid rough weather sailing.

you make...
--The Beatles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

JacksonHoleWyoming wrote:
Ultimately, the aka brace problems also demand different engineering.

This is a tough one... they are designed to release, so finding that release tension that is just right will be the only option.

I did have another thought though. I note that the lock may stick open slightly and can be opened by bumping it. Carefull attention to the properly seated and locked connection may make a difference.

by the way... as for beta testing... we are still making changes to the Hobie 16, so yes... we listen.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update: The Hobie engineers appear to have a repair solution worked out to repair the AKA ball mount. It hasn't been completed yet, but my dealer should have the repair kit soon.

Yakaholic made a point about damaging the ball mount before getting in to the water. I am sure this could happen, but not in my case. My home is on the beach and my AI is simply carried down and launched. I have only sailed it about a dozen times or so since I got it, and it was like new.

When I entered the surf it was very mild. I keep thinking, there is no way this could have happened. However, I have my own theory. I had my AI on the beach in the sun for awhile before I set it up and launched it. Since I have hibiscus red, I am thinking the plastic heated up just enough to make it soft. Then when I assembled the AI and got in the water, the first little wave that hit pulled the ball mount out, nut and all. There have been several posts about the "soft" plastic and this would seem to fit the circumstances.

This is the only possible explanation I can come up with. Regardless, I am impressed with Hobie's products and their response to my issue. I actually bought another AI, a 2008 model, for my home up north. I have to say the 2008 has a number of very nice improvements over the 2007 model. Thanks again to the Hobie Engineers for helping me solve my problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with the above comment.

We LOVE our AI's, but my GF is very nervous about this problem (even tho it hasn't occurred to her).

I've told her about issues with the aka brace/ball mount and drilled it into her on how to deal with it if sh''t happens. It's just has added to the "freak out factor" when waves are a benign one foot. She knows failure occurs over that threshold and worries. Our work on this issue is ongoing.

I look at it this way. Hobie sponsors this forum, and does their best to look after us. Other manufacturers could easily shrug shoulders and say, "It was built in China. Can't help you." So solly... No replacement parts available."

Hobie cares. sincerely. You buy a product, and you're in the club.

These AI's are a product of many multiple genius IQ's. We're at the peak of the pyramid. I have confidence our issues on ball joint failure/aka brace failure will be remedied.

Why not? I'm a traditional sailor. Multihulls predate contemporary monos by thousands of years.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My dealer (Captiva Kayak Company) called yesterday to tell me the repair kit has been installed on my boat and everything is fine. It appears the solution involved bolting the replacement ball mount through the hull. The Hobie engineers sent a kit and a schematic drawing of the install, I am really impressed with their assistance.

Also, I can't say enough about Greg and Barb at the Captiva Kayak Company. If you are ever down on Sanibel or Captiva Island they are the place to go for kayaks. Rentals, sales, service tours, they provide outstanding service. I highly recommend them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Navgoulas - I was wondering where you sail/paddle out of since you mentioned Captiva. I'm out of Cape Coral and thought I might see you on the water some time...although I typically launch from Matlachee, I've been wanting to try along the causeway and off the lighthouse point (seems to get a good breeze) due to all the sails and kites surfers I see!

Rob

Post subject: Annother Sanibel Sailor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Rob,

I am new to the AI group, having just aquired an AI. I sail off Sanibel all the time- I live on the island on a canal. There is one bridge between my house and the inlet, so I pedal to the inlet, and sail between the causeway and the lighthouse, or sometimes the other side of the causeway. There are lots of dolphins around there and yesterday I sailed up to a huge sea turtle. Very Cool. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Rob & Sanibelbelle: I wish I were down on the island full time, I do get down there about 10 times a year for 4 to 10 days at time. I always sail right in front of my house which is on the beach in Gulf Pines. The only way I get on the bay side is when I am using my power boat. That being said, I'll watch for your AI's when I'm down on the island.

The sea breeze is almost always good on the Gulf side of the island , but it can really blow down over by the lighthouse as well. Happy sailing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:28 pm 
Hobie Team Member

It appears the solution involved bolting the replacement ball mount through the hull. The Hobie engineers sent a kit and a schematic drawing of the install, I am really impressed with their assistance.

Matt

Is there a part number for this kit?

Can an owner do a self install?

Thanks fo any info.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sanibelbelle wrote:
Hey Rob,

I am new to the AI group, having just aquired an AI. I sail off Sanibel all the time- I live on the island on a canal. There is one bridge between my house and the inlet, so I pedal to the inlet, and sail between the causeway and the lighthouse, or sometimes the other side of the causeway. There are lots of dolphins around there and yesterday I sailed up to a huge sea turtle. Very Cool. :D

Thanks Sanibelbelle Drop me a line (e-mail) or call anytime for some company on the water - I'm not to far away and am always looking for an excuse for paddling, peddaling, or sailing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

navgoulas wrote:
Hey Rob & Sanibelbelle: I wish I were down on the island full time, I do get down there about 10 times a year for 4 to 10 days at time. I always sail right in front of my house which is on the beach in Gulf Pines. The only way I get on the bay side is when I am using my power boat. That being said, I'll watch for your AI's when I'm down on the island.

The sea breeze is almost always good on the Gulf side of the island , but it can really blow down over by the lighthouse as well. Happy sailing!

Thanks Navgoulas - hope to see you on the bay!