Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I tend to use the bungee cord a lot because I ride high once I set my course it keeps the sail out of my face. I use adjustable ones I picked up at Home Depot, about $4 a pair. They have adjustable hooks like Hobie's pedal retainer. I put a clip hook like the one on the seat bungee on the ama end.

They allow for a wide range of use and if you leave it hooked when tacking you can sail sideways, comes in handy when navigating narrow channels in heavy traffic.

Here are a couple pics that show an old set up sorry I don't have pics of the one I use now days. I hope to get out this weekend but the only breeze we are getting is coming from a swamp fire.

gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Upyaboya, I keep it in a pocket of the AI, clipped to a carabiner like in this pic.

The only "work" in using it is throwing the loop over the eyelet post. I usually get it by the 3rd try.

The carabiners holder is just a short strip (1 1/2" of 1" strapping, held in place by the pockets corner screw. On the left side pocket I mounted it on the inside as not to catch me sliding in or out of the boat.

Sooner or later, anything not attached to an AI will "leave". :o

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you both Gwiz and Kayaking Bob for the pictures and explanations. I figure that I can make a bungee cird as you describe. The carbiner as part of the seat pocket is a neat idea. Yakman also suggested extending the furling line which I did so now I don't have to sit on the hatch to furl in gusty conditions as happened earlier this week.

Mighty big storm here at the moment with constant rainfall so I'm stuck on land....mind you, 2 young guys went out in a GP14 this morning and gave an exhibition on how to sail in such conditions.

My curiousity on the A1's performance was not thwarted by the weather but by the breakers on the beach which would have made it impossible to launch safely. I have rocks nearby so a flip or a bang could do damage to me and the yak.

Got myself a waterproof housing for the camera so I should be able to post some pictures next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Todays update....... out in some 10 to12 mph winds and suddenly no steering! Rudder pin broke at the bottom and let the rudder slide up and out. Beat it back in the hole with pliers and high tailed it back home downwind and very gently. Called the dealer and will pick one up tomorrow and I think some spares also. Makes me want to go with stainless but I read where that voids the warranty so I will just carry several spares and hope for the best.
Although mine is an '08, the pin does not have the D head that the newer high strength pins are supposed to have. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make sure the pins are the new harder ones with the "D" shaped heads. Since we went to these, we haven't broken a single one.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First post here. Just picked up my AI 2 weeks ago, I'm afraid my trusty Prowler is headed for the mothball fleet. '07 Hib demo w/ '08 retros for a sweet deal. I like the barber hauler mod that Xavier did on his AI at the hobie sailing forum. I like the simplicity of the long bugee. Would a barber hauler of any setup work in mod-heavy trades and sea conditions ? Too much stress on the ball joint?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think it's really needed except in light winds.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

And I second that very good advice from Kayaking Bob.

It's a beauty to setup in its simplicity so try it out and I found the decent winds did not appear to place to much stress on the A1 though I did manage to lose a sail batten and am still awaiting a replacement.

Post subject: new AI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just looked at your vidios, very good. You wouldnt catch me on the water without a boyancy aid, you must swim like a fish. The sea up here (Scotland) is pretty cold it saps the energy out of you after only a few minuets, it gets harder to right a capsise if you fail the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good man North Sea.....welcome aboard and nice to have someone of this side of the Atlantic. Glad you enjoyed the video and I need to take some more so you can get brave.

Enjoy and don't worry, our sea is just as cold!

The stability of the A1 is simply staggering and despite all manner of sea and eind guts, I have manageed to stay aboard. That said, I do not look forward to the inevitable first dunk for the reasons you give about the cold water. I do wear a wet suit and wet weather kayaking gear but worry that a while in the water trying the right the beauty might sap my energy. So I don't venture off shore too far when it's lumpy or gusty.