Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As some of you have no doubt noted, the Outback/Sport/Quest built-in rodholders aren't always deep enough (only about 5 inches) so the rod butt can be inserted deep enough to avoid rod loss. Of course, everyone should be using a rod leash or tether anyway�right?? But sometimes in the heat of the moment, I tend to forget my rod leash. However, the simplest do-it-yourself project yet is to make a couple of PVC rodholder extenders. You can use either thin-walled or thick-walled PVC to decrease the inside diameter for a snugger fit for the smaller rods.

For example, a 1 1/4" diameter PVC thin-walled pipe gives you an ID of almost 1 1/2" (PVC is measured using the inside diameter), while the thick-walled pipe is, as labeled, 1 1/4 inches ID. For the Outback, I used the 1 1/4 inch thin-walled jobs, cut these to a length of 10 inches, and simply dropped them into the built-in rodholders. This gave me an extension of about 5 inches above the deck. Of course, you can cut the PVC to whatever length, and use whatever diameter best suits your needs and rod size. You can even fit several different diameters of PVC inside one another to further decrease the ID to fit your smaller rods.

Then I discovered another annoying problem. When reaching forward for a rod, I found that I often angled the rod tip back towards me so that the butt wedged in, and pulled the PVC pipe up and out of the built-in rodholders. To avoid dropping the PVC extenders overboard, another simple solution is to add a couple of medium-thick rubber bands (small bag of 3 x 1/8 inchers from Wal-Mart office supply department) around the PVC where it goes into the built-in. The rubber bands make for a nice snug fit in my Outback, so the PVC inserts didn't pull out when I pulled the rod out. I thought about using O-rings, but they are hard to find in the right size and thickness, plus they tend to be a bit pricey compared to good ole rubber bands. My motto is to follow the K.I.S.S. Principle wherever possible :D�

Last edited by Apalach on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: good idea
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:29 pm 
I tried your suggestion. Works great!! Thanks for the idea.

Post subject: Re: good idea
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sonnybass wrote:
I tried your suggestion. Works great!! Thanks for the idea.

Unfortunately I only have a Mirage, therefore no rod holders long or short. I have set up my Mirage for two rod holders made out of PVC that screw on to PVC threaded bases that I have attached to the aft deck, positioning is very important if they are too far forward you will hit them with paddles. These work great for trolling. If anyone is interested in more info I can try to post some photos, but they work great and can be easily removed by unscrewing when you do not wish to fish, does that ever happen?

Daryl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey db,
Sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe you could post a pic or two so we could see how you went about it.
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another tip - cut a 1-inch wide slot in the PVC pipes about 3 inches or so deep. Fly reels will now fit in the PVC (if you use fly stuff, make the slot about 4 to 5 inches deep) and both casting rods (reel seat trigger) and spinning rods (reel stem) will located in the slot and stay in a fixed position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Apalach wrote:
Hey db,
Sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe you could post a pic or two so we could see how you went about it.
Dick

After many attempts I cannot figure out how to post a photo, if you send me an e-mail I will be glad to send you a picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey db,
Partly in response to your post, I worked up a little article about how to post pics on the Hobie site. Check it out over on the Open Forum-Kayaking. Hope this helps.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2255

Best,
Dick