Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Kepnutz - or other experimenter - which diameter and material sail foot stiffening rod did you find to be the best as far as upwind and downwind sail shape, etc.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya Jer.. :D

Last edited by kepnutz on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kepnutz (or anyone else experimenting with boombats),
You mentioned in your posts about possibly using a fishing blank. Did you ever try one? I was looking for a rod with variable thickness that might work better than the 5/16 inch fiberglass rod I currently am using, as I think that is just a little stiff for upwind sailing, as the sail doesn't curve at the bottom. Boats with real booms keep the sail straight on the bottom, but I wasn't sure with this sail shape is that is preferred...there isn't much sail to have any inefficiencies (unless the stiff boom helps the air flow in other ways, which would make the rest of my post moot.)

I thought a variable stiff rod might give the sail better shape sailing upwind (putting the tip toward the mast, allowing more curve near the mast), but give the sail stiffness to keep the sail out more when going downwind because the latter half of the rod would be rather stiff.

I'm shooting for the shape shown in the article:

http://www.arvelgentry.com/techs/A%20Re ... Theory.pdf

which shows an "ideal" shape of main and jib sail config as the following:

Sailing with the 5/16" rod (below in 6 mph winds), the rod stayed straight instead of allowing any bend.

I have three examples below for rods:

The first is my existing 5/16 inch rod under pressure ($7)

(Too stiff? There isn't much shape near the tip)

The next example is a 6 foot solid fiberglass fishing rod ($11):

too much bend on the tip?

Next is a whip that I bought at Fleet Farm for eight dollars:

Is this one just right?

Unless someone else had already experimented with this, I think I'm going to unravel the threads from the whip to thin it out and try it in the sail. I'll keep it a little long, and if it's too flexible at the tip I can cut the tip off to stiffen it up a little more.

Unfortunately I probably won't be on the water for another couple weeks at the earliest. :(

-tracker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Tracker..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Kepnutz,
Thanks for the info! After removing the fiberglass rod from the whip, the tip diameter measured 1/8" and the handle measured 5/16". The whip is 16" too long, so if I decided to cut it to length by cutting the tip off, the new tip would be 3/16". These diameters are very close to the merger between your thinner batten and your thicker boom, so I think I'll try it out and see if it makes any difference compared to my thicker 5/16" boom.
It's just something else to play with while sailin' around :)

-tracker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Tracker :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey ya Kepnutz!
I think you are right on the jib. :) I'll post your thoughts on the jib post along what I found out from a one of my buddies from work that does a lot of sailing of standard sailboats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Tracker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am curious about the boombat. Does it curb some of the incessantly loud flapping when you release the sail? I have found that on the lake I sail on, when I let go of the sail, the flapping noise isn't just loud, it carries. I am hoping to try and cut down on the noise, as I trolled last time out and managed to catch two nice sized fish. The trick was as soon as the fish was on the line, I needed to stop sailing, so I just released the line, but the sail flapping was like somone hitting you in the head with a hammer.

Other than the noise when there is no tension on the mainsheet, I do love sailing my kayak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

idavis,
It's been my experience that the boombat removes all of the sail flapping when you release the line. The sail will just rotate instead of flap and snap. It would seem like the perfect solution to your fishing ventures...plus you'll like the improvement in sailing in the medium to higher winds. :)
In my testing last week, I didn't see a noticeable difference in performance between the tapered boombat and the 3/8 inch uniform fiberglass rod. I'll probably continue to use the thicker rod.

-tracker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. Looks like I will be visiting OSH this weekend before I head out to the lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I found my 1/4" dia. fiberglass rod at my local bicycle shop. A bicycle safety flag 1/4" dia. x 6'-0" long for $7.00 and in stock so no shipping. I cut to length 1-1/2" longer than the bottom of the sail using a dremmel tool with cutting wheel. I used the same wheel to taper the end to slip more easily into the slot in the sail hem.
I used a pointed soldering iron to make the slot in the hem. I then took a large wirenut and screwed it onto the other end. I have yet to use my new boom batten but eager to try after hearing all the good results.

The boom batten is a great idea and easy to make. Thanks