Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am thinking of buying a Hobie 16 but am not sure if it is right for me. We do have sailing experience but now with cats.

1/ It is for me and my son - we each weigh 200ibs - will it sail okay with us on it?

2/ We will use it on Lake Ontario and will be sailing alone out there. Is that advisable?

3/ We want to spend only about $2000.00, do you think we can get somethign that is okay for that price?

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To answer your questions.

1: The 16 will sail alright with approx 400 pounds on it. The Min crew weight for the 16 is 285. I know I have sailed it with over 400 on mine, and it is slow, unless the wind is really blowing.

2: How is lake Ontario? does it kickup rather easlily? What are the normal wind conditions there? How many boats are normally out there? I have been known to go sailing alone out on Lake St. Claire, but other cats are in the area to help out if problems arise.

3: If you watch the papers and Ebay, you should be able to find a good boat in that price range. You can also check on some different sailing websites that have classifieds.

Do you have a place on the lake or do you plan on trailering it too and from the lake?

The Skier
1973 Hobie 16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply. We are thinking of going for speed so I am wondering if a Hobie 18 would be best given that yours can be a little slow in light air with 400ibs. Although I hear that it is more difficult to sail the 18. We are sailing a 420 class (a 14 ft) at the moment at a club (having some lessons) and are about the switch to a Laser 2. We don't like the handling of the 420 - very bow heavy in good wind even when we move back, we have yet to try the Laser 2. But do you think we would would find the Hobie 16 handling and sailing better then than the 420 or Laser 2 with our weight?

Lake Ontario does kick up at times, not sure how big it is but it must be about 200 miles ling and close to 50 wide in places. Often there are boats in sight but sometimes there are not.

Con

Post subject: Hobie 16
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I dont know if the 16 is better than the lazer 2 or the 420 class, since I have not sailed either one.

In reguards to the 18 being more difficult to sail, their again I dont know for sure since I have not sailed one personally. I have seen them sailed a few times, even solo. It looks like the handles just like the 16... just rigs slightly differently. Plus it can point higher into the wind than the 16 can.

Maybe some of the other sailers on the forum can better answer your question in reguards to the difference in handelling between the different boats.

Something to consider when you go out sailing on the big lake is to take with you a GPS and possibly a marine radio that is waterproof.

The Skier
1973 Hobie 16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think that you'd find the 16 better than either of the monohulls, but with 400lbs aboard you'll need to watch fore and aft balance in higher winds. You should have no problem righting her, my son and I ( combined 300lbs) easily right my 16. The 18 is just as easy to sail (I regularly solo my neighbor's- while he uses my 14) but righting is difficult. But....... with 400lbs. it probably isn't that bad. The 16 should be a blast in higher winds for you two. In short either will be enjoyable and better than a mono hull
Good luck,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a 16 for $1,000 a couple years ago. I have no idea what year it is (around '80), but it had brand new sails and everything in good working order. So you should be able to find a good one for under $2,000.

My wife and I weigh in at about 350 pounds and we've found that you almost have to try to tip it over - although we are on a smaller lake. If you do tip, 400 lbs should easily right your boat.

Two years on this boat is about the extent of my sailing experience, so I can't compare it to other products. But it's been fun for us.

On Lake Ontartio you definately want to have some means to get your boat in if/when something breaks. The waterproof radio suggestion sounds good if you are not confident that another boat would see you.