Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'Day again,
Last summer when I bought my Sport I also ordered in a Bimini to keep off that cancerous sun, as I bought this from the Hobie catalog I didn't realize that the mount took up so much space in the back storage area, I didn't drill holes until I did a little searching around. Summer past and I didn't even use the Bimini once( Hello melanoma).

its time to get ready for this summer, I found this mount on the Protecht website and wondered why Hobie didn't op for this mount as it leaves all of that storage space alone

I'm not going to buy this mount from Protecht until I found out whether or not this mount will work.

Any ideas?

Anyone want to buy a unused Bimini mount :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not everyone wants to lose access to their rod holders just to mount their bimini top.

Surely there are many ways to mount it with a little creativity. I don't have one or I would help, but I do remember that the mount looked awfully big for what it was holding up. I'm sure its not made by Hobie but rather purchased from another manufacturer. Someone on here will probably have a tip or two for how else you can mount it. Those mounts you show look ok. The only issue is making them tight enough to keep your bimini from flying away in a gust of wind, but not so tight that they crack the rod holders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TDRILL wrote:
Those mounts you show look ok. The only issue is making them tight enough to keep your bimini from flying away in a gust of wind, but not so tight that they crack the rod holders.

The rod holder mount is made by the company that makes the Bimini so it should work fine, but as you said getting it tight enough without cracking the rod holder, another thing that I was thinking was how it would effect balance. But I am hoping someone has already played around with this idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Are you really worried about balance in an Outback? I could do somersaults in one without tipping over. They don't come much stablier.

I doubt someone will answer who has done it, but maybe you will luck out. I think it will just be on you to try something out. Make your own mount if necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PhotoMurray

I have an older Sport before they even came with pole holders.

For a Simple sun shade just use an umbrella. I made a crate to hold stuff and just set the umbrella in a PVC tube mounted to the crate.

If you don't want to use a crate just plop the umbrella into a scupper hole. The Purple pool fun noodle can be placed to act as a stop so that the umbrella mast only goes so far into the scupper hole. Pool noodle adds flotation in case you drop in water.

You can change sides by using either port or starboard scupper hole to increse shade for the sun's angle. I use a red ball bungie to hold umbrella steady to a seat strap to pull the shade forward a bit more overhead. The height is adjustable on the umbrella as well as being EZ to fold up should it get too windy.

Cost is under $10 for the Umbrella

Oh and you can also put it in the mast cup if your main concern is sun on the legs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Yakaholic,
I seen those photos once before in another post, I'm pretty sure it was that post that help make my mind up to buy the bimini (thanks).

Though I don't mind making up extras, if its already built I would prefer to buy it.

I just thought there must have been a reason why Hobie made up a special bracket when the company that supplies the Bimini already had a mount.
If its only because of not wanting to lose one of the rod holders then that's no problem for me. I will just go ahead and buy it and give it a test.
But just making sure first that Hobie(or any one else) haven't had problems trying the rod holder mount in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there,

My name is Kathy and I recently bought a bimini for my outback adn I am wondering how you made out attaching yours. I dont mind so much the space the metal mounting frame takes up, I am wondering about the way you have to attach it to the hobie. I am wondering if it is strong enough and I dont really like screwing holes in my kayak if I dont have to. If you have pics can you send those too. My email is [email protected]

Thank you!

PhotoMurray wrote:
Hi Yakaholic,
I seen those photos once before in another post, I'm pretty sure it was that post that help make my mind up to buy the bimini (thanks).

Though I don't mind making up extras, if its already built I would prefer to buy it.

I just thought there must have been a reason why Hobie made up a special bracket when the company that supplies the Bimini already had a mount.
If its only because of not wanting to lose one of the rod holders then that's no problem for me. I will just go ahead and buy it and give it a test.
But just making sure first that Hobie(or any one else) haven't had problems trying the rod holder mount in the past.