Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Guys:

I have a new Red AI and I have a problem keeping the red, red. Since it was new it seem to have large patches of white chalkness on most of the non-skid surfaces. I have tried everything but nothing works over the long term. 303 Protectant and F21 protectant seems to work for a while but it always comes back. My yellow AI does not show this. Anybody know whats going on and how to correct this (MATT)?

Thanks, Ray J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

303 or Mcnett "UV Tech" would be the best options.

How about a cover?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Matt:

I have always kept it in the garage. I think the dealer kept it out in the sun before I got it. It was old stock.

Thanks,

Ray J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:54 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I have it on my red Island as well. I don't think it is related to age or sun exposure, since the boat I got was less than a month out of the factory and had not been out in the sun. Notice that it appears on the non-skid areas -- sun fade would be more widespread. I suspect it is a byproduct of the mould release that occurs with the non-skid surfaces, probably depending on local surface temperature or amount of mould release material. It's fairly common on the red hulls I've seen; on yellow it appears as a slight fade rather than chalk -- seems to blend in better. Still it would be nice not to have it.

I saw a red Revolution that was stored out in the sun for a year with no fading on the bottom of the hull. The UV protection seems to be pretty good on these. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Roadrunner:

Thanks for the reply. Your experience is exactly what I was describing. I tried rubbing compound with 0000 steel wool, but it did not help. I was thing about lightly sanding with some wet/dry paper. Matt, could you ask some of the engineers about this?

Thanks,

Ray J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My red AI has the same 'fade' issue. Sitting next to my yellow one, the red one looks much older. I've tried several things, and found good old armor-all is the easiest quickest 'quick' fix.

I used armor-all about a week and half ago -- and haven't sailed it since, but it still looks good. We'll see how long it lasts.

Post subject: Keeping the Red
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The poly plastic used in the hulls have the color pigment infused into it during manufacturing. However plastic on a microscopic level is very porous hence why Coca Cola always tastes better in glass (Ketchup too). The surface color can really get sun bleach when exposed to the enviroment (lots of sun) I tried some of the expensive marine plastic protector sprays but found that especially in salt water even the good stuff only lasts a sail or two. So I went with the more economical good old fashion Armor All. Works 60% as good at 1/5 the cost. You just have to use it more frequently, I use it ever time after a salty sail. As for inhancing some already bleach damaged color I have used some of the color impregnated auto wax (like a shoe polish), They make it in several colors and it does add some red stain to the boat for a newer looking glow. For the scratches I have been using Aluminum Oxide and Silicon Carbide automotive sandpaper, smoothes them right out. I don't recommend the melting of the plastic especially on a high stress area, the plastic becomes significantly more brittle and weak after a second melting. However I admit I have done it once using a fabric covered heat iron used to melt selophane onto RC airplane wings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree Armor All is a quick fix. But also agree it is almost an every other outing application. I took mine out for a 10 day road trip and it looked TIRED AND OLD when I returned.

Post subject: Red Colour
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Damm shame this post wasnt up about 2 months ago when i was tooing and froing about whether to buy a yellow or red AI, went through all the mental reasoning about the benefit of each colour, even asked the forum, but probably on the wrong tack - i was more worried about the red hull deforming more than the yellow especially under the cart on a hot day - anyway i ended up buying a red AI, didnt like the yellow (safety message) colour so much.

I now regret :( NOT buying a yellow AI. My red AI is garaged and has seen water (1 fresh and 3 salt water expiditions) BUT looks like it is two years old, not two months. And doesnt look anything like the shiny red colour in the magazines.

Hobie should include the orange colour which is a choice for the fishing kayak. Hobie definately should look at the red colour issue of fade and blochiness - can i have a new yellow AI (or orange one if ever produced) under warranty?

Post subject: Keepin the Red
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update on my earlier entry about suggesting Armor All over the expensive marine plastic cleaner/protectors. I have coated one Amas with Armor All and one with WD-40. The WD-40 is the king and really repels water after a salty sail. Makes it look like new if you don't mind the smell and the greasy feel when first applied. used it on all the bearings too and everything moves nice and smooth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I couldn't imagine putting wd40 in my class-a lake, not to mention dealing with the smell and oil stains associated with it. I'll take the faded look any day. If I'm not mistaking, wd40 also attracts dirt.

A note to Hobie: The red is pretty disappointing. My AI looks like a south beach rental.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Every kayak I've ever had of this type material has experienced fading beginning with my 1982 Perception Cruiser. It was white and still faded.

The top two factors in my decision to get the yellow AI were: 1. visibility and safety; and 2. not wanting to end up with a pink boat in a few years.

The yellow also experiences some slight fading, it's just not nearly as apparent as with the red. My only real concern is that the material does not become brittle or lose strength. Since my boats are kept inside this has not been a problem. I painted the top of one kayak using equipment paint (Massey Ferguson red) and it has lasted ten years (except for a few encounters with large rocks in class IV rapids). I've also spray painted designs on the boats to personalize them. While this is not the solution you seem to be looking for, it is effective, inexpensive and the plastic under the paint does not fade.

It would seem that the WD-40 does not actually prevent fading. It appears to restore the original color because the film refracts light, temporarily enhancing the red color. Vegetable oil would probably produce the same results. Either way, you leave an oil slick in your wake.

The real solution to this problem lies in the composition of the polypropelene base material and hopefully Hobie will find a fix before I wear out my AI and need another.

Sunblock for plastic boats might be a nice niche business. Let's see... I can buy spray paint at Wal-Mart for $0.99 per can, relabel it as Kayak Sunblock and resell it for $10.00 each.

My plan is to wear out my AI before either it or I fade away. Hope you do the same.

Post subject: Keepin the Red
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Light Reflection - So yes that is correct, WD-40 does not return color (please read my first response about the color pigment being injected into the molding) If you want to add color back I would suggest plastic dye because plastic is very pourous. Just so everyone can relax about the enviroment WD-40 is non-toxic and you can actually eat it (but having the same affects as castor oil), doesn't even kill plants. IT is also aproved for class A lakes, I love Squam Lake. I use the WD-40 due to exceptional water repellant qualities on the ropes and rigging to force the salt out of the fiber. I don't coat the plastic to maintain the red (like putting armor all on tires, just shines for a while) I put it on for the UV protection. The sun, sand, and salt water make that plastic very brittle depending on your use and then all of a sudden you can watch all those nice anchor points and screws start pulling right out of the plastic hull. My old plastic sit on top I could literally punch a hole in with my fist after 4 years in Florida. (Not pretty). The plastic used actually has a UV inhibitor in the chemical formula but as abrasions occure the light reflects in all directions making it look faded (like the difference between the side of the Amas smooth Vs. the top of the Amas jagged. P.S. They have Kayak protector but it is $$$ and the same ingrediants as Wal-Mart off the shelf stuff. I apply WD-40 usually 4 days before sail to absorb so no sticky, greasy dirt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

New 2 part Hobie Boat Cleaner and UV Protectant System: Clean and then protect!

This is the best stuff!

7005 HOBIE BOAT CLEANER – 16oz $14.95
Formulated with “Green Chemistryâ€

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)