Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trying to decide
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I posted a while back in the wave forum asking for information on that particular boat. I am now currently trying to decide between thethe wave and bravo. I have found two local sellers that are selling the two boats, the wave costing about $800 more.

I plan on primarily using either boat in my fairly large lake but might eventually venture into the ocean as my sailing skills improve. I don't anticipate carrying more than a total of 2 persons on board but it would be nice to have the option.

I am mainly concerned with how 'entertained' I'll be with the bravo compared to the wave. I do like the fact that you can double the bravo as a kayak on those low wind days.

I am encouraging the opinion of folks that have owned both of these boats.

Thanks.

ps: What should I look for in a bravo when buying a used one? Also what year did hobie start producing them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hey!

I haven't tried the wave, in fact I never had a sailboat before the bravo

I got mine for 400 bucks off craigs list san diego

I can tell you the bravo is a blast and fits in the back of a pickup truck... squeezes in my 07 tacoma real nice

As far as what to look for, I can tell you what I discovered on mine

mine was sitting tied to a dock apparently for some time, a lot of the rigging is in bad shape

the top mast strap was missing and and new one had been sewn init's place
the righting ropes were deteriorated bad, replaced them today
the main block to rudder cable broke the second time out, I'm waiting on a new one and have rigged a cable in its place
one screw that holds the sail A-frame was broken off in the hole, fixed that today

I would check those areas and just all the straps, lines and hardware to see if they are ship shape

truth is there is not too much rigging and hardware on the boat to go bad
the mainsheet block/cleat looks to be indestructible

and there aint but 30' feet of various line on the whole boat

I imaging the two things that would put off a sale is if the hull or sail are not in good shape... mine are fine that's all I was really concerned about

good luck!
If you are taking more than one or two people on the boat, you'll probably want a bigger one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've sailed both boats, and currently own a Bravo, here my thoughts.

I used to sail/race SolCat 18 and Hobie 16 back in the day, so there is a certain performance level I was looking for. I do live on a canal about 300' from a lake that's 1mi x 1/2mi. Which limits the size of the boat that usable. I was looking for a used Wave or Bravo, found a Bravo first.

The Wave has better performance than a Bravo, and can hold 3 people no problem. The Bravo is basically a 1 person boat, with 2 the performance does suffer. I like the days the wind is really blowing, sometimes to much. With a Wave I would have a hard time keeping the boat up. With a Bravo, I can easily reef the sail to get upwind, then let it out for the broad reaches.

Speaking about reaches, both boats suffer from the fixed main sheet attachment at the center of the boat due to the boomless main. On the Wave, a traveler can be added to correct this. For the Bravo there's a Boom Kit. I prefer the traveler solution over the Boom. You'll need something.

The Bravo is just so damn easy to setup and sail, the main wraps/unwraps around the mast, and is never in your way. On the Wave, the main is all over the tramp when not up. I have to paddle down the canal to get to the lake, sometimes against the wind, once at the opening, just pop the main and away I go.

I'm still looking for a good deal on a Wave, but I don't think I'd sell the Bravo even if I got one. If I was sailing in the ocean or in the Gulf, I'd like a Wave.

One suggestion is to find a dealer or a rental place and try both boats, Its a hard choice. You have to really decide what you're looking for and how you want to sail it. Either way, they are both a lot of fun.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies.

There is in fact a place around me that rents a wave but none that rents the bravo. I've been trying to make it to the place but school and uncooperating weather has stopped me everytime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in South Florida and the places I know on the east and Gulf coasts all rent Waves. Where are U located?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in south Florida too, Miami region.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in western Palm Beach County and sail on the lakes out here. The only hazard are the gators, which really motivates ya to get the boat righted real fast.

If you want to discuss the boats more, drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll give you a phone number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I took my test ride on a Bravo at

Tackle Shack Water Sports
Andy LeVine
7801 66th St. North
Pinellas Park, FL 33781
Toll Free 1-800-537-6099

Great experience, took a test ride and a couple hours later, I had my new Bravo on a trailer ready to go. Sailed it that week in the Ft. Myers Beach area and then towed it home to Cincinnati. Just last week I spent the week sailing on Portage Lake in Onekama, MI. Great winds! What a blast! People could not believe how quickly I was able to shove off, open the sail and be on my way. Fun times.