It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Arrrrrrrrr <----that was great! I laughed out loud!!

I never thought this question would generate such a responce! thanks for all the responces. So as I presumed controlled is better. I just was a little unclear as to how to do it.

You all must have the itch like me just checking the site everyday sometimes twice, looking for anything cat related to talk about or digest mentally just counting the hours till the water and wind are just right.

Come to think about it, I dont even need wind i'll just rig it and put the cat in the water and just sit there 20 yards off shore just to say i took the it out. thanks again jibe ho!

Oh there is another question is it gybe or jibe. I guess its a little late for that question.........

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gybe / jibe... doesn't matter. :)

Post subject: We're all gonna die ?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: :lol: All appropriate sailor lingo :lol: :lol:

So a pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel attached to the front of his pants.
The Bartender says "Say buddy, you have a steering wheel on the front of your pants"
The pirate replies " Arrrr.. it drives me nuts! " :roll:

Post subject: Gybe, Jibe?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:20 am 
Site Admin

jibe1 also gybe (jb) Nautical

v. jibed, also gybed jib·ing, gyb·ing jibes, gybes
v. intr.

To shift a fore-and-aft sail from one side of a vessel to the other while sailing before the wind so as to sail on the opposite tack.

v. tr.
To cause (a sail) to jibe.

n.
The act of jibing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wasn't Jibe Talkin' a Bee Gees song?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a great topic I have always just tightened up the main just before the turn, after the wind catches the sail on the other tack I smothly let the main back out. In a big blow I try to not to gybe. As xanderwaess put it "were all gona die" :o Anyway I'm gettin spring fever 6 weeks yet till the ice goes :( oh well sigh--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xanderwess wrote:
Wasn't Jibe Talkin' a Bee Gees song?
:lol: :lol: I think it was!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That was pretty funny, I just couldn't get that song out of my head for some reason so I shared.
We you at the NAC thing in Syracuse last year?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It was pretty damp and drizzly that day as I recall. I had taken the day off to go fishing along Cayuga lake, up to Sodus and back down to Auburn to see the new Bass Pro Shops (I HAD TO buy a new fly rod because it was on sale- Hey it works for my wife :? ) and then fish along Seneca Lake on the way home. Good fishing day. Wet sailing day.

I stopped and watched and chatted with some really nice people for about an hour. All the boats were out when I came and when I left. It looked like a lot of fun and very well run. Made we wish I had the time. When I was young I had the energy and time but no money, now I have the energy and money but no time. I will one day have the time and money but no energy. :roll: So it goes :wink: Did we meet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was probably out. Had a blast, and the equipment worked the entire time I was out, so I had no excuse not to race. I was too heavy and my boat "cinderblock" was too heavy, and of course I was out classed 2 to 1 by all the other 14 sailors, but had a good time. My kids sailed in the Youth division and did really well so the trip was great. Plus, we all visited Niagra Falls on the way out. No s###, as we're in line to go to the 'cave of the winds', I am standing next to a couple of older people, I introduced myself, they knew who I was and they live about 10 miles from me. Small friggin' world 1200 miles from home!
:P

Post subject: being in the buff
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This post has absolutely nothing to do with nudeity.<---refrence to the "Post subject:"
My mother lives in buffalo, I have lived there for a few years ago for a while and used to sail big boats on race nights in the summer that was fun stuff!
but I dont know where is good to sail other than lake erie any suggestions for cat sailing in the W.N.Y. area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think there is a regatta in Buffalo this year. Check out Fleet 204's website and check their schedule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The one of the worst injuries i have received while sailing Hobies so far was from an accidental jibe when the traveler was all the way out and I wasnt paying attention when the main came across the fact that the traveler must not be far behind never crossed my mind, however the traveler quickly tried to cross my arm which was holding the tiller cross bar "as we do not have tiller extensions" in 20+ kts I was learning from that mistake for the next three days of that trip. The moral of the story- Watch out for accidental Gybes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gybing in high winds and waves, go as fast as you can so to keep pressure off the rig. :twisted: