Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello folks! Last Saturday I was on a blistering beam reach with my crew on the wire, when SNAP! My port hull cracked all the way in half right in front of the tramp, letting the mast loose and sending my crew for a nice swim. It was a grand end to 34 years of excellent Hobie 16 service.

So, my question is, what should I get next?

I've been wanting more performance, and I prefer to sail alone so I'm thinking about a Hobie 17. I'm not sure if a 17 is actually faster than a 16 though because I've never sailed a 17. Does anyone know how the Hobie 17s compare to the Hobie 16s in speed and performance?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Post subject: 16 vs 17
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have owned 16s in the past and have owned two 17 sports over the past 14 years. I also prefer to sail solo and in as much as the 17 is not truly a two man boat the 17 is the way to go rather than the 16. The wings allow you to take the 17 out in bigger wind and it is a lot more stable.Great fun, I believe faster and you can fly it as high and long as the 16 if not more so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

More stability would definitely be a plus. Thanks for the advice!

By the way, are the 17s as prone to pitch-poling as the 16s are?

Post subject: 16 vs 17
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I find that the 17 does not pitch-pole nearly as much as the 16 did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's a plus too!

If I may trouble you with one more question... Sometimes I end up with a boat full of people (3-4 Adults). My 16 would still go pretty fast with that many people on-board, despite the fact that it felt like it was going to sink half the time :lol:. How does the 17 compare to the 16 in terms of buoyancy/carrying capacity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Neither the 17 or 16 are really designed to carry 3 or 4 people. I don't think either one would sink per-se, but neither one is going to perform too well.

Overloading the 17 will cause the hulls to sit low in the water. The 17 probably has more overall bouyancy than the 16, but since the trampoline starts at the top of the hulls (as compared to up on pylons for the 16) it will drag and hit any chop. Also, if you get the standard 17 (not 17 Sport) the boom sits very close to the trampoline. This makes tacking difficult with any more than one person on board.

Get a standard 17SE if you plan on mostly sailing alone - only occasionally with a second person. It's really only suitable for 3 or 4 person trips if it is going to be used as a "swim platform".

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's some great info, and advice! Thank you so much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would agree, neither the 16 or 17 glass Hobie are 3 or 4 man boats. If those numbers are your usual crew, then you may want look at the Hobie Getaway which is 16 ft and change.But note, the Getaway is not the boat the 16 glass Hobie is.As far as a 17 Sport vs a 17 SE I sail solo almost 100% of the time on a Sport and fine the jib gives me more sailing options as to performance.