Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just wondering how everybody out there stores their spinnaker pole while trailering? We've tried a lot of different things and nothing seems to be easy, tying it to the mast, across the crossbars, hanging from the crossbars, on the frame of the trailer...

What works best for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:53 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I leave mine attached, but I have to undo one of the stays so that it can pass to one side of the trailer mast support. I then bungee it to a padded spot on the mast support. It saves a modest amount of time when setting up and taking down.

Problem is when I get home, the boat has to slide forward on the trailer so that it'll fit in the garage. I have to undo the bungee, disconnect the pole at the front crossbar and the stays and put it on the trampoline. The only thing it saves me from doing is re-rigging jib sheet.

I know John Bauldry carries his in a padded pice of PVC pipe (with screw-on end caps) slung underneath his sailbox. But he has to stip the pole down completely - including removing the snuffer.

Paul Krutty built a sailbox long enough to hold it with the snuffer still attached. That's probably the best solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I cut out a notch in the back of my cat box that is big enough for the pole to go through. I store my pole with the end pole snuffer attached. I do not even take of any of the halyards or the sheets from the spinnaker. I keep the spinnaker in the snuffer bag as well.

Give the hardest job to the laziest person to find the easiest way to do it.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I cut a small 4" hole in the front of my cat box. I bought a rubber hose from the plumbing dept. at Home Depot to stick in the hole so that the pole doesn't get scratched up. That's about it. I do have to load the pole in the box first and then everything just barely fits. I also bought a PVC Plug that I stick in the hole when I set the boat up to keep the critters out.

Mike Hill

Hobie Tiger #1520

Post subject: spin pole
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I cut a 4" hole in the end of my sail box and attached a 4" pvc pipe with end cap. I just leave everything on the pole and slide it into the pvc pipe from inside the box.

David Lennard

Post subject: Hanging On
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like the idea of the hole in the sail box. Now that I have one -- I just might try that.

To date, I've been hanging mine below the mast. Pass two web straps, by the inside front and the inside back of the tube, between the pole and the snuffer tube. Take the web strap back through one loop, that you have previously sewed into each end of the web strap (or bought that way). Match each web strap with a short bungee cord that is tied around the mast, keeping one end free; keep the free end of the bungee cord short to minimize swing. Catch the second loop of the web strap with the free end of the bungee. The pole and snuffer is now hanging below the mast. Using rope, tie the front part of the pole to each side of the bridle wire brackets and the back to the each side of the rear crossbar. I use the hardware on the spinnaker pole to aid in this step. Take up the slack on these lines.

The whole assemble is very stable -- on my rig, I see very little swing. If I remember right, I postion the bungee so that one is in front of the mast spreaders to prevent slipping.

I found this to keep the wear and tear down on my snuffer tube. Plus, the lettering on the snuffer tube is great advertising for Hobie.

Bruce

Post subject: Trailering with pole
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My trailer for the H-18 is set up with a Toy Box to one side of the centerline and two pieces of 10' conduit attached to the other for my Cat Trax to slide and ride on. The back of the mast is held up from a removable pole attached to the trailer. (I never liked the mast riding on the boat while traveling). I have mounted a fitting to the mast support pole and then attach the spin pole to it underneath the boat and then have a bunge from the dolfin striker wrapped around the pole.

No holes in the toy box, no 2 piece spin pole, and if I know I don't need it I can leave the spin pole at home in the garage. If you want a picture of the set up I can mail one to you.