Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a couple of those little tiny windex like things that you spring onto shrouds and I want to put them on my wife's boat. She has trouble figuring out the apparent wind, and that makes it hard to learn sail trim.

I'm trying to figure out a way to put little stakes or something out at the ends of the forward akas, then clipping the little windvanes onto those. Anyone done anything like this? Any mast top ones out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We tried a few things and finally put 3' of 2" wide ribbon at the top of the forward batton. Besides showing the apparent wind, it looks nice too.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I may try that as well, Bob, but I'm really looking for something that is more sensitive for tracking light breezes. I wish we had enough wind to lift a 3' ribbon!

Post subject: nice
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

nice Bob - I like it

Post subject: Wind Indicator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been using a Davis Black Max - Wind Direction Indicator for Small Boats. It is designed to be afixed to the mast or boom with a bungee attachment. I attach it to the forward aka on the starboard side with an additional velcro wrap right under the wind vane. Works well. Only drawback is when the ama is folded in it can be snagged by accident when exiting the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chrish,

Do you have a picture of it on your boat you can post here?

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's Chris's wind indicator:
And also his GPS mount

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's what I came up with, mostly from recycled junk. Packrats of the world, UNITE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks like there are several wind vain ideas. I mounted a wind vain on a base that I just slip under the forward hatch bungies. In addition I found the sail just needed better and more tel-tails. I cut off the upper "yarn" tel-tails that came on the sail and replaced them with nylon ribbon tel-tails. These don't stick to the sail like the ones provided. I also installed ribbon tel-tales down in the see-through portion of the sail, up high and aft the same distance as the factory upper ones. Works great! The main thing with added tel-tails is you don't want too many, because depending on where they are mounted, they may conflict each other to determine apparent wind direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

windvane on the aka, that's a great idea. I bet that comes in handy with the shifty winds on lakes.

reconlon, where did you pick that thing up? I want a couple. I tried the survey tape on the batten last summer but got tired of replacing it everytime it ripped off. It did work well though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

donjoe,

After further review, the one on my wife's boat (on the aka) has to move. The air spilling off the sail affects it too much.

If you put it on the aka, put it out as far as you can to get away from that effect.

I'm considering ways to relocate hers to the bow of the boat. I like the idea of just slipping a base under the fwd hatch bungees, but am a bit concerned after I stuffed the whole front half of my boat down into a wave. What would THAT do to the wind indicator?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

donjoe,
My wife tells me it is 2" Grosgrain ribbon. She says you should be able to find it at any fabric or craft store, even Walmart.

We tried a few things and different places, but this works the best. Don't try it on the top of the mast, it can tie up the sail at the worst possible moments! :)

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Ray, I agree that the bow of the boat may not be the best place - they do spend alot of time under water and crashing through waves. Good info on aka mount.

Reconlon, thanks for the info. I will be going after some grosgrain ribbon. The survey tape worked well flying from the batten, it never really got hung up, it just wasnt strong enough.

Thanks again

Post subject: Wind Vain
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I chose to put one on either aka to compensate for whatever disturbance I get from wind blockage off the sail and off rough chop. I volcanized them into a round block of acrylic and put vinyl marine velcro on them to attach to the aka. I also have a tiny line (sunglasses crokies) tied just in case a wave broke the velcro loose but that has never happened even after dunking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just prior to raising the mast, I'll slide this in the top between the fiberglass shaft and the sail sleeve...
If you flip or pitch pole it's probably history but, you've got other more pressing issues to deal with...