Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Took the Bravo to Mission Bay yesterday
Great day for sailing

Flipped it on the beach... wth!
Then flipped it 20' from shore when taking off, losing my hundred dollar ray ban sunglasses :(

Got the hang of it and practiced flying on one hull for a while
then I figured out that it actually goes a lot faster if you hike way out and try to keep both hulls in the water

then halfway through the day I noticed the boat was plowing completely under the water when hitting wakes then porpoising back up out of the water
I realized I had left the drain plugs out and the boat was completely full of water

I got it to a beach and opened the back hatch and my registration came pouring out with a fountain of water.
I drained it for 30 minutes or so and while I was there two boats were racing, hauling butt, when the pickle forked boat nose dived at speed, flipped, and sank
thankfully there were only minor injuries

I got back back to where I had my stuff and somebody had stolen my best fishing pole and reel.

It was time to pack up and I realized i had left my sandals on the beach, they were gone now, and I had to hike way across the asphalt parking lot in bare feet

I just flushed out the inside of the boat with soap and water and put it on its side on top of a tire to drain, when I got back to take it down there's a big round dent in side of the hull from sitting on the tire :(

all being said... I can't wait til next weekend! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Safe to say that yesterday was just not your day, eh? :wink:
It can only get better from here, at least!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

lol yup

I just got back from buying new sunglasses and got a cord thing for them that goes around your neck... fool me once... shame on me :D

the dent in the side worked its way out... nice!

things are looking up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We all have days--especially when we're beginners--in which we mess up, embarrassingly. We learn, and it becomes less common as time goes on. A week ago, I drove one wheel of my tow vehicle off the edge of the ramp as I was backing my boat into the water. Very embarrassing, with all the people around. Fortunately there was a big boulder just behind the wheel so I was able to back up onto that and crank the wheel and I popped back up onto the ramp. Then five minutes into the sail, I remembered that my keys were still in the back of my swim trunks' pocket. I went to put them "safely" into the dry bag and they dropped onto the deck...and right through the drain hole! I had to have an emergency locksmith come to the lake and partially dismantle my car's dashboard to make me a new chip key. I paid one of his employees fifty dollars to drive my ladyfriend back home. Four hours in the hot sun and another $300 later I finally was able to drive home. A guy at the lake told me about key floats, which keep your keys afloat if you drop them in the water, so the first thing I did was order one for next time. Sheesh.

--Bob

--George Carlin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

whoa and I thought I had a rough day

:D

Post subject: Doesn't it seem like...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Doesn't it seem like the frequency and degree of our misfortunes are directly related to the urgency of our task - - - and, how many people are watching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve,

I lost my $400 prescription glasses when I flipped the boat, even though I had a strap on. I'd suggest you get a float for the strap, this way even if they come off your head, you can still retrieve them

Now for my moment in hell, Had the car and trailer on the ramp loading my SolCat when I realized I locked the keys in the car. Not wanting to break the window I had to hitchhike back to my house, while I was wearing a full wet suit (yea like people want to pick up a wierdo). When I got there no one was home and I had to crawl into a back window. Got m spare keys got back to the boat ramp and the backend of my car was under water, tide was coming in. Needless to say there was a line of angry people there.

This was not an isolated incident in my journey through life.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like you learned some valuable lessons...

I think you will find that many seasoned sailors only use a cheap pair of shades on the water. It's just too easy for them to get lost or broken on a boat.

As for the keys, I think the safest place to keep them is on dry land. When I got my new car, I was informed that a replacement key (electronic chip type) would be about $150. I think if I was really worried about security, I'd keep the keys locked in my boat box and just take the boat box keys out on the water.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I always open windows if I leave the keys in the ignition. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ottos wrote:
I always open windows if I leave the keys in the ignition. :P

damn right :)

I had a honda crv and if it was running and you closed the door, it would lock it for you whether you were inside or out

that was expensive now and then

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most of todays new cars won't let you lock the keys inside if no one is sitting in the car.