Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all,

I use to go for rides on an uncles Cat when I was a kid but I was too young to learn to sail. I always enjoyed it and I have decide to get a CAT for this summer. I currently windsurf but plan to take lessons from a friend to learn Cat skills. Anyway, I have found a 1985 H18 with trailer, Tequila sunrise sails. I have not seen it yet but I am told it is in very good condition and the hulls have no soft spots and do not leak. The trampoline is in great shape as well. He said it is pretty much stock eccept for Carbon Fiber rudders. I have downloaded a what to look for guide on H18's but it is not year specific. However I have heard to stay away from H18's between the years of 1986 and 1989 due to inferior hulls. Does the 1985 version have this flaw as well? Anything I should look for. The guy is a die hard sailor and all his children race lasers and such. He is selling it since he has too many boats and just has not sailed it in a while since his kids race. He is asking 1350.00 for the entire outfit. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am in Los Angeles county and would be interested in any other boats for sale in my area.

Should I jump,

Marc Webster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

YES.
There were problems with this year also. Places to check are under the crossbeams, both front and rear, for cracking. Look up under the hull-deck lip both inner and outer, all 4 corners.
If you want to race the boat you will need a comptip. This year did not come with them but were available for free, so previous owner may have added. You will need to purchase one now however. Sail sonds like origional, so 20 years old...
The price is very good, so if no cracking and the sail not too bad go for it.

P.S. I have a 18 for sale that is of the same vintage, but price is higher. Has some upgrades like two newer racing sails and new tramp, etc.

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

According to an earlier post that I seem to be unable to find, 1985-1988 were not good years for the 18. The hulls were made with less material and would break in two where the front crossbar attaches to the hull. In the same post it states that the manufacturer added anchor plates and beefed up the material in 1989. Hopefully Matt can address your question better, but I can tell you what I look for.

On the hulls, I look for soft spots, cracks in the areas around the daggerboard openings, cracks around the rudder gudgeons and transom, and how many rivets have either failed or fallen out of the jib block tracks.

The next areas that I check are the crossbars. The rear crossbar is known to develop cracks just inside the hulls near the allen head bolts that attach the crossbars to the hulls. The cracks won't be at the seams between the castings and the crossbar, but instead they will be about two to three inches inside of the seam on the crossbar itself. On the front, I always check around the mast step and you want to make sure that it has the new style mast bearing. I also check to make sure all of the rivets on both bars are good and tight.

The last item that I check is the mast. I check the diamond wires, step, anchor plates (including mast tang, diamond tangs, and compression plates), and for any bending.

As far as I am concerned, everything else can be replaced. The standing rigging including the shroud anchor pins shoud be given a good look over, but I would replace them. I demasted once due to an anchor pin failure and Jamie just demasted on his new-old 14 due to a shroud failure. Trust me when I say, "YOU DO NOT WANT TO DEMAST ON THE WATER"!

I hope this helps and everything goes great with the purchase. Hopefully sometime in the future we will see you on the water.

Just remember;
Keep the pointy end up.

Post subject: Notes on the Hobie 18
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Cracked or not, the boat can be fixed and strenghthened. You just have to do it before you get a total hull failure! Follows are notes from a couple posts on the subject:

>>Here is a quick history:

Just after it's introduction in 1976 the 18 had some bow problems and this was corrected in mid 1977. In 1983 we added the option of wings. This caused more stress on the hulls. The boat was lightened up in 1984 which caused some problems that were chased around with retrofit plates at the forward cross bar. This wasn't fully beefed up until about 1989 when we made more changes and added a "post glue stage" patch of glass that connected the deck to the sidewall of the hull at the forward crossbar connection. 18's after that seem to have zero problems.<<

>>You can add the patch. The 4" wide one is not wide enough to distribute loads outside of the anchor "indent" that the anchor plates bolt into. Since the inside of the boat has a bead of putty at the deck to hull connection, you have to grind that out and or fair it in with more putty to make a radius. Then sand the inside of the deck and side wall. Make a patch that is about 12" wide and long enough to go 6 inches into the deck and down the side wall 6 - 8 inches.<<

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the information. I have a what to look for list and here is the link to it. http://206.176.210.95:8109/../catamaran.asp

I have a few questions to some of the replies. I am a bit confused with this:

"The next areas that I check are the crossbars. The rear crossbar is known to develop cracks just inside the hulls near the allen head bolts that attach the crossbars to the hulls. The cracks won't be at the seams between the castings and the crossbar, but instead they will be about two to three inches inside of the seam on the crossbar itself. "

When you say inside the seam, how do I find that. do you mean under the crossbar? Do I need to remove the allen bolts and slide the bar out or something?

"On the front, I always check around the mast step and you want to make sure that it has the new style mast bearing. I also check to make sure all of the rivets on both bars are good and tight. "

How do I know if it is the new style since I am unfamiliar with either? Is there a visual difference between the two. Can you describe both so I can tell? If it is the old style, do I need to replace it? If so is it an expensive part and can I do it myself?

Thanks again.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Marc,
You should not have to take the crossbar apart. The cracks, if there are any, will be in the areas just inside of the hulls. I am going to try to include a link to a picture of an 18 that is upside down. If you look at the picture there will be a white boat bumper cushion on the right side of the photo under the rear crossbar and brown paper bag of some sort on the left side of the photo under the rear crossbar.

[url]http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Catamaran-Bottom-Job&id=3_HANGAR&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

It is in these areas that I have noticed cracks. Also, on the front crossbar you will see a blue bag that is also in the area prone to cracks. You can't see the other side of the front crossbar, but I would check there also.

As for the mast step, the best way to determine if it is the new style or not is check to see how many rivets are in it. If it has two, it is the old style. If it has four, it is the new style. Here is a link to where someone installed the new mast step.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... _album.php

I hope this helps.

And just a note to Matt, I was not trying to knock the 18. I agree, everthing can be fixed as I have two 18s myself. I love the boats and would buy one with all of the problems I have mentioned. I am just still upset that it was discontinued about eight months after I bought my first one.

I guess it is about time to move up to a FOX! Any plans on discontinuing it?

Post subject: Fox?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hobie 18 #7877 wrote:
I guess it is about time to move up to a FOX! Any plans on discontinuing it?

Unfortunatly the FOX never caught on...

We are still building the H20 Miracle, but the Tiger is the one we will be concentrating on. If you want something that will be around for awhile, it will be the Tiger most likely. That is a strong class now.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: anchor plates HC 18
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dear M. Miller

I just bought anchor plates for HC 18.

Now I have to install them, but before I need to do the work you described below:
"Then sand the inside of the deck and side wall. Make a patch that is about 12" wide and long enough to go 6 inches into the deck and down the side wall 6 - 8 inches."

What I want to know is how many fiberglass patches I have to do inside?

Outside the hull, in the border line between the deck and side wall I have the original fiberglass (and gelcoat) completely broken for about 6" . what I have to do in your opinion?

If you need I can send a photo.

Thank you!

Stefano