Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SOOOO rear stays are a good thing. And i got all caught up in making sure the mast raising rig was all set up right that i forgot my rear stays. Yeah....mast came over the front, ball popped out and down she came smashing into the antenna of my van which between the soft antenna and the trailers front mast rest that gave way to the falling mast.

Amazingly, there was NO damage to the boat. Had it checked out by a local boat shop. he said i was one lucky duck. S

But the second time around i attached the stays and raised everything correctly. even ran the main sail up to see how the furler works.

So a bit of a harsh lesson but back on track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can't be too careful raising or lowering the mast. I know I'm always sweating bullets, praying I didn't forget anything. Even then as you will read in the main forum, I still have issues.

If your mast ever starts to twist on you when raising or lowering...STOP! Too much twist will damage either the pin on your gin pole or tear a new hole in the mast where it plugs in.

As far as your shrouds, they need to be just a little loose, and not extended all the way....but definetly connected. Otherwise you will be manufacturing gold bricks in your driveway as the mast starts to swing wildly. It sounds like you may have made a few already...