Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Riveting traveler track
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie 16-1981,

I have removed all the rivets in my main traveler track because they were loose and stopping the traveler. They had also destroyed the base of the traveler. I bought a new traveler and new rivets but I am having a hard time getting the recessed rivets to seat flush with the track. Can anyone tell me what is required to do this properly?

Post subject: equipment question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What type of rivet gun are you using? I don't know what you call them, but mine takes two hands and operates vertically, not at a right angle, to the rivet. It is high quality and cost a pretty penny 25 years ago. You can't pick one up at the dollar store or Wal mart. It was given to me years ago by an A fleet sailor who helped me replace my traveler track. You have to push down as hard as possible as you squeeze the handles, keeping them vertical and centered. It is REALLY tough to do, but it pulls everthing together when done right.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did this by getting the right countersunk rivets ordered in by my chandler, then buying and modifying a cheap rivet gun to do the work.

The rivet gun will not sit down far enough into the track, so you need to file two sides down of the gun's nozzle. That's it! Perfect result achieved by applying a little pressure as I expanded the rivets.

I keep this rivet gun just for that kind of work, I'm sure this is not the last track I'll rivet into place!

"How many times you capsized?"
"5 times"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can also do it by buying a bunch of little washers and putting them over the "nail" part of the rivet to "raise it up" to where the rivet gun doesn't have a problem getting into the track. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i used the washer way, it workes fine, sometimes what you might have to do to get the riveter to grab the nail, is to slowly pull a little so the nail is tight in the rivet. The rivets I used kept sinking back into the rivet, so I just pulled them tight, then put washers around the rest of the nail, and then press hard! Worked great for me, I just replaced my traveler a few weeks ago, it was a breeze, took maybe ten min.